Report: Rocky Mountain UTD Mapping Project

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boulderjohn

Technical Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
There has been some discussion in the past about the fact that nobody posts reports in the DIR forum except for classes like Fundies. I thought I would remedy that situation and report on an ongoing activity that began this past weekend. It will take me several posts to describe it.

The Rocky Mountain region does not have a lot of suitable sites for technical diving--few indeed, actually. The best that I know of is a sink hole in southern New Mexico, near Santa Rosa. Located on private property, Rock Lake is a large sink hole that can only be accessed by a limited number of identified groups, each headed by a technical diving instructor. With rare exceptions, unless you are in one of those groups or receive permission from the group leader to join them on a weekend, you can't dive it. One group is GUE for Fundies and NAUI for the rest. Another group is IANTD, although they are rarely there. Our group is UTD. There may be more, but I don't know--the groups try to schedule their trips on different weekends so we don't step on each other's toes. We thus don't have a lot of contact with each other.

The place has almost no facilities, although the owner recently left an old, broken fifth wheel trailer on site, which gives us some shelter on windy winter days. It is in relatively pristine natural condition. Thankfully, the owner has stopped leasing the area for cattle, so we don't have to push our way through a bovine mob (and the things they leave behind) to get into the water any more.

The lake has a long history of diving, but that history has not been passed on well to the current generation of divers. The property owner does not know all that much about what was done before her fairly recent time of ownership. There are rumors that Sheck Exley visited it once, but if he did, he didn't write about it. There are rumors that someone died in it once, and one of our divers did find remnants of an old BCD and a rusted out tank near the bottom. One person who knows more than others said that OW instruction was done in it in the past, which is surprising given the much more accessible, popular, and OW appropriate Blue Hole is only a couple of miles away.

Not only don't we know the history of the place, we know surprisingly little about what it looks like. Seriously. A wild estimate from Google maps suggests it is an oval about 400 feet by 500 feet. The slope of land into the water varies, but is generally pretty sharp angle. That slope is covered in dense but fragile vegetation that constantly gives off very fine, needle-like dead material that drifts down and forms a fluffy, almost talc-like silt on ledges below. After about 10-30 feet of slope, it plunges straight down in cliffs that are undercut in most places.

On a bright day, there is still a little ambient light at 100 feet, but by the time you are at 150 feet, it is darker than any cave I have ever been in because of the visibility issues caused by that gentle rain of organic debris from the plants that hang down from the tops of the cliffs. You have to be pretty close to the wall for even the brightest of canister lights to illuminate it. Consequently, we can only see a small snapshot of any place at one time. I only know a couple of people who have been to the bottom, which is a thick organic silt ooze at depths varying from 200 feet to more than 300 feet. We know of some interesting sights, including silt-covered ledges with selenite gypsum crystal poking though, but we have always found them by dropping on a descent line and the proceeding along the wall at a known depth. Most of the people in our group have only been to a tiny fraction of the possible locations, and a number of the locations have never been visited by any of us.

We know the wall is undercut in locations, but we don't know exactly where or how much. I know that I wanted to shoot a bag from only 80 feet once. We swam pretty far out from the wall, but the bag still hit a ledge somewhere above me, so I had to go even further out to the center to get it free.

We have talked about mapping it for a long time, but it was not until this past weekend that we decided to start the project.

Last edited:
One problem we face in mapping it is that simple fact that none of us have ever done anything like this before, so we are making up the process based on whatever knowledge we have acquired over the years and our imagination. The second problem we face is having appropriate equipment. For example, we discovered this past weekend that using a wrist compass is a really tough way get precise headings on the angles of the walls. We also presently lack true exploration reels at the moment, although we hope to change that soon. Perhaps more knowledgeable readers can help us with suggestions in this thread, both in terms of technique and equipment.

The most interesting problem we face, though, is in regard to our personnel. We have varying certification levels, which limits what we can do on any one of our monthly trips. This past weekend, for example, was the worst in a long time in overall group attendance, and we were very limited in forming teams to handle deeper depths. Our instructor (George--rookers on SB) and I were the only ones with the certification levels appropriate to scout out the long ledge we knew about in the northwest corner at 150 feet, and we spent much of our dive time working on that. George and I also did an initial survey of a long and complex 135 foot ledge. James (amascuba on SB) joined George for two long dives on that ledge (and beyond) as well. The rest of our group focused on the 100 foot level, and I did some work on that myself on the last day.

We definitely need to work on our technique. When George and I were doing the 150 foot work, he laid line (not easy on a wall like that, BTW) while I tied to follow along, noting depth, distance and compass headings. At the beginning I was a real mess, trying to juggle my light, the wet notes, the pencil, my compass, etc. If I shone my light on the wet notes to see what I had written, the light was so bright and the pencil markings so faint that I could not see what I was writing. I did most of the writing absolutely blind and then later rushed to transcribe the resulting hieroglyphics into something usable while my memory was fresh. Eventually I figured out that if I left my light clipped off and tried to work in its outer glow, things were much better.

I was jealous of the quality of the notes being taken by the 100 foot team, but there were three of them, which helps greatly in the juggling act, and they had enough ambient light at that depth to make markings with minimal need for additional light. They were also the ones who figured out that it was better to hold the compass in the hands rather than on the wrist.

So we had a very satisfactory start to the project. It was a lot of fun to be doing something useful like this during the dives. We have a large number of coordinates to start with, but we estimate it will take at least 1 1/2 years to get what we need at this rate. Much depends, as I said, on who shows up each month. For example, I won't be there next month, so there will need to be at least one Tech 2 diver there to go with George to those depths. On the other hand, we are sometimes joined by another diver with a full trimix rating, so if He shows, then he and George will go to the greater depths for at least some dives.

Last edited:
take a look at the halcyon exploration reels. spendy, but they do the job.
also a survey compass works better than the wrist one.
try this:
Brunton Compass | Extreme Exposure

try balancing the lighthead on your regulator hose and writing at the edge of its beam if you can. I've seen that attempted but can't comment on how well it works.

Aquanuts on TDS makes pretty decent reels, he's in NC but hasn't been active on that board in a year or so. Not sure if he's still making stuff. Mine holds 1800+ft of knotted #18.

Nice that you all coordinate weekends... But seems like you might be duplicating efforts, re-inventing wheels, or just plain old not meeting new and interesting folks who happen to carry different cards in their wallets. Kinda sad.

Thanks for the report, sounds like a fun challenge. Ever thought of putting a rowboat on the lake and getting bathymetry and/or sidescan that way?

Nice that you all coordinate weekends... But seems like you might be duplicating efforts, re-inventing wheels, or just plain old not meeting new and interesting folks who happen to carry different cards in their wallets. Kinda sad.
On several occasions groups have overlapped, usually because the owner made a scheduling error. With no facilities, parking in a field, and only one entry point, it gets crowded. We have all gotten along well when we've met, but we have to keep our elbows out of each other's noses, so to speak.
Ever thought of putting a rowboat on the lake and getting bathymetry and/or sidescan that way?

That all would be nice. Our plans do include getting an inflatable boat to take soundings and marking with GPS, which is about as close as we are going to come to such high tech.

I hear you on the crowds, we don't really have that problem for shore sites here.

That all would be nice. Our plans do include getting an inflatable boat to take soundings and marking with GPS, which is about as close as we are going to come to such high tech.

They make handheld sounders for <$100, but the ones "rated" for diving aren't. I bought one and ended up returning it to West Marine after 2 of them flooded at way less than the rated depth.

They make handheld sounders for <$100, but the ones "rated" for diving aren't. I bought one and ended up returning it to West Marine after 2 of them flooded at way less than the rated depth.

We're thinking of using about 300 feet of line on a reel. The guy who wants the job is envisioning relaxing in the boat with a few beers, a reel, and a GPS.

I had the same kind of problem with trying to figure out how to write when I did a HCDOP survey dive (Hood Canal Depleted Oxygen Project). I concluded that, for this particular application, either slinging the light over your neck OR using a tiny mask light was a reasonable accomodation. I know mask lights aren't DIR, but I have dived with people who use them, and they aren't that bad if they are small. And small is all you need for taking notes. (Another option is to rubber-band a very small penlight to your writing instrument.)

(Another option is to rubber-band a very small penlight to your writing instrument.)

Ah! You reminded me of just the right tool for that! It is a tiny but surprisingly bright LED light I bought several years ago so my children could do some night snorkeling!

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom