Careers w/ SCUBA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mwilding

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Outside of Military, Commercial and Recreational diving, are there many careers that can utilize one's SCUBA trraining?

I imagine Marine Biologists can find lots of opportunities to get wet and a lot of Police departments have SCUBA teams. What else is out there that one can take of advantage of the skills and experience that we all spend so much time and money developing?

Just wondering...

Writing, photography, science diving, aquarium diving, industry related sales and marketing, equipment repair, retail, travel review, travel coordination, publishing, consultation, film production, stunt work, safety diver for underwater activities (watch Fear Factor / Dog eat dog / NASA /etc.), engineering and inspection, hyperbaric medicine, and of course you already mentioned military, police, commercial, recreational...

Jeff Lane

Well that's a pretty good list, but some of those are pretty thin - from a career perspective
Aquarium Diving is a volunteer thing (which, in fact, I am trying to do)
Retail - how exactly does that get you into the water?
Publishing - ?

But you go a REALLY good one there with the safety diver thing. How would you like to work for these guys!

And I wonder if Sherwood needs a good sales rep...

Aquarium Diving - someone has to manage the volunteers... I have several friends who work as diving safety officers for aquariums.

Retail - talk to mtndiver on this list, he is in retail and seems to be in that water more than the office... Depends on the item your selling I suppose...

Publishing - I guess writing would have been more appropriate for this are but there are many authors self publishing out there right now... guide books, dive site information books, etc...

Put the rigth spin on it and you can make it seem like your working even though your diving:)

Jeff Lane

Back
Top Bottom