Deco Training in Full Cave

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crawford

Contributor
Reaction score
Reading the course descriptions (NACD mainly) for full cave, it says that decompression is taught as part of the course. How in depth is the course material usually, and does the deco skills taught cover well enough simple deco you would do on ocean dives, etc.

I'm looking at going the cave route, and wonder if the training I will get in full cave is what I need for deco training, or if I'll still need to take a course such as Advanced Nitrox/ Deco procedure, etc.(understand this is outside the GUE course progressions).

When I took my cave course (NACD) we planned and did decompression dives on air. The course covered decompression theory, dive planning, as well as unique situations the cave environment can have on decompression procedures (Spiked dive profiles, having to swim a fairly long distance through the cave to move up to your next shallower stop ,etc).

As far as if the deco training was as comprehensive as a deco procedures course-I don't know since I haven't taken the course. However I am in the process of taking other technical classes (Normoxic trimix) and I was not required to have a deco procedures course completed.

We did some simulated deco in my cave training. After that, I went back and took a combination Advanced Nitrox, Extended Range, Intro to Trimix, and decompression procedures course. It was all combined into one long course with lots of class time, lots of reading, and deep trimix diving. I learned a lot of useful things. I'm taking advanced Trimix as soon as my instructor says it's time. As far as I know, that's the last class I'll take unless they invent something else.

I would recommend the advanced deco classes, as well as the trimix. It's over and above cave training and will help your cave diving, wreck diving, or whatever, where obligatory deco might come up. The classes were very enjoyable too, and I don't even like math.....

We used hand calculations until we proved we could do it, then used deco planner and worked out lots of range plans, etc.

I did Advanced Nitrox and Deco Procedures prior to my Cave Class, My instructor required it, We dive in Missouri and the caves are all Deep.
I am glad I did, it made me a much Better Diver and I was a lot safer in the Cave Enviroment.

:doctor:
It would be helpful for you to take a adv nitrox, deco class before your cave class. The detail you get regarding deco procedures in your cave class will depend on the instructor and the questions you ask. Deco planning really needs to be discussed as part of a cave class. The cave environment does not always favor the conduct of a simple dive plan. What you learn in your cave class will at least give a good basis for open water deco dives understanding, again depending on the instructor

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom