2nd stage regulator face plate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hongrace

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
While searching for info on a particular 2nd stage regulator (Scubapro A700), I came across a DIR forum in which a member said the screwed on face plate of the above reg is not desirable because special tools are required to take the face plate apart.

I would like to ask if it is DIR practice that the face plate of the 2nd stage reg should be of an easily removable type? IF yes, why? Thank you.

Yes, its a real thing. Occasionally, debris can get lodged in the 2nd stage, and unscrewing the faceplate, popping out the diaphragm, and manually cleaning it is the only way to get it going again.

True story, happened to litehedded at cow spring when we went through the restriction. It was a quick fix and we were on the move again.

Yes, its a real thing. Occasionally, debris can get lodged in the 2nd stage, and unscrewing the faceplate, popping out the diaphragm, and manually cleaning it is the only way to get it going again.

True story, happened to litehedded at cow spring when we went through the restriction. It was a quick fix and we were on the move again.

Do you mean doing this cleaning above water or underwater? Sorry if my question sounds stupid.

AJ has it right. Got rolled on a surf entry once and ended up with my primary reg free-flowing because it was gunked with sand. Ended up shutting that post down in the water, then taking it apart and washing it out before I put it all back together, turned the post back on, and happily began my dive.

Peace,
Greg

AJ has it right. Got rolled on a surf entry once and ended up with my primary reg free-flowing because it was gunked with sand. Ended up shutting that post down in the water, then taking it apart and washing it out before I put it all back together, turned the post back on, and happily began my dive.

Peace,
Greg

I take the pins out of my faceplates so we <can> do this, but reality is with drygloves its unlikely to happen on the surface or UW. Maybe back at the truck.

Last edited:
Jen got tumbled on a surf entry and had a ton of sand in her primary second stage. It was free flowing a bit. I took it apart at the surface (with dry gloves) and cleaned it out. It worked just fine after that. Those I know with SP regs just remove the retaining pin.

Jen got tumbled on a surf entry and had a ton of sand in her primary second stage. It was free flowing a bit. I took it apart at the surface (with dry gloves) and cleaned it out. It worked just fine after that. Those I know with SP regs just remove the retaining pin.

I was once told that SP added those pins so that their logo was always facing up. It's just silly enough to be believed.

I take the pins out of my faceplates so we <can> do this, but reality is with drygloves its unlikely to happen on the surface or UW. Maybe back at the truck.

Don't tell Bdub that, saw him do it at Mukilteo once. It can be done in drygloves, though having a buddy handy to hold the parts helps.

I was once told that SP added those pins so that their logo was always facing up. It's just silly enough to be believed.

I heard this somewhere too. Along with it preventing us from hurting ourselves by "servicing" our own gear. Both sound like something SP would do.

Don't tell Bdub that, saw him do it at Mukilteo once. It can be done in drygloves, though having a buddy handy to hold the parts helps.

That's what I mean. If possible I will go back up to the bench, or the truck, or someplace so when I drop a part I can find it again. There's little need to do it where you'll lose a part in the water, even though there's only ~4. Cover, outer ring, washer and diaphram.

I would do it underwater in an overhead with bare hands. If I wasn't in an overhead it would probably just be just switch to other reg/shut down post and thumbs.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom