Sharm el Sheikh Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bug killer

Registered
Reaction score
I am planning a trip to Sharm el Sheikh in early June, 2011. I would like to combine a 3
day mini safari with 3 days of land based diving. I am an advanced diver and would like to use a dive center that uses boats with smaller numbers of divers and doesn't cater to new divers. Any suggestions for land based diving or live-aboard mini safaris, or an operator that can combine both? Thanks!

that uses boats with smaller numbers of divers and doesn't cater to new divers.
I would recommend prioritizing dive sites before small boats though. Small center may result in local sites. Which aren't very good, the best sites are at Ras Mohammed and Tiran. Most centres also got restrictions for Ras Mohammed so not as many new divers since many of them stay local.

I used one of the large ones in June last year. We were 12+ divers on each boat and dived in two groups. June is off season so big centres also gives better opportunity of deciding where to go since they will have several boats to choose from.

Local sites aren't very good!?

Did you dive Ras Katy, Ras Umm El Sid, Paradise, Far Garden, Ras Nasrani or Ras Ghamila? If you do them right they can be awesome. More Whale Shark and Manta sightings on the local sites than in Ras Mohamed or Tiran....

There are smaller centres with smaller groups but they often share with other centres and ameneon is right - the bigger centres can offer more choice of location from day to day. Some centres can offer you a private boat if you have enough people and are willing to pay the extra. For a group of 8 divers, this actually doesn't work out too expensive.

I can't give recommendations because I work for the competition, although I know my own centre doesn't offer mini-safaris. RedSeaShadow should be able to assist with that though.

Hope that helps,

C.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom