Temperature of Red Sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Water temps should be about 20-22 Celsius from what I read. I'm going in Sharm next week and decided on packing my full 5mm wetsuit and a hood.

Yeah, i'm thinking of taking a selection of suits - full 5mm , Hood , gloves and a couple of shorties to go over/under depending on the temp :eek:)

hope its not too chilly, I've been looking forward to diving in a wetsuit for ages - bored of the dry suit :)

where are you going?

Water temperature in Sharm is 24 degrees, 23 in Dahab. It will drop at least one more degree before it starts to warm up again. Minimum last year was 23 in Sharm, I recommend a minimum full 5mm at least, 7mm semi would be better. Be aware that some dive centres will not allow you to wear gloves. They are technically allowed (it used to be illegal to wear them in the national park) but many people still insist on no gloves.

At the moment, getting out of the water is the problem, especially in windy places like Tiran or Dahab.

hope that helps,

C.

cool thanks everyone, I'm going to take my 5mm semi dry + 5mm shorty to go over the top.

to be fair, i've dived in the 5mm down to 10c and been ok so 23 should be lovely! still , better to be cosy warm underwater than cold and shake and get in a bad mood :)

Just got back 23 deg, 7mm or as you say 5mm and shortie perfect.

Can we sticky a post with links to NOAA or another water temp site? This question comes up about every 2 weeks..

JAN 22 Water (° C)
FEB 20
MAR 20
APR 21
MAY 22
JUN 23
JUL 24
AUG 26
SEP 26
OCT 26
NOV 25
DEC 24

I went diving in Hurghada yesterday and the day before (Jan 25-26), and the water was right at 21*C.

The dive shop rented two-piece suits there, so I was plenty warm. Most of the locals were wearing 5mm suits without any problems.

It's definitely windy though when you get out of the water. We got out of our suits as quickly as possible in between dives and tossed on a sweatshirt. You'll be warm in the sun, but that sea breeze is rather chilly.

Diving was great though :D I'll probably update my other thread in a few days when I return from Cairo.

Can we sticky a post with links to NOAA or another water temp site? This question comes up about every 2 weeks..

JAN 22 Water (° C)
FEB 20
MAR 20
APR 21
MAY 22
JUN 23
JUL 24
AUG 26
SEP 26
OCT 26
NOV 25
DEC 24

I think you may of missed the point a little bit, or I was not clear enough in my original post.

I can find many websites with 'average temperaturs for x at x time of year' however, as has been shown from the reports, its 23/24 in hurghada at present and most tables show it to be 20/21 etc

I was wanting feet on the ground / fins in the water reports :eek:)

Thanks to all for keeping the reports coming - I only have 2 weeks to go :eek:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom