New artificial reef in Pensacola Bay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds like they got permission to dump their garbage in the ocean. I get what they are trying to do but...

One man's garbage is another fish's treasure. Bridge rubble is a great reef for fish... we have a lot of bridge rubble sites already out in the gulf that are swarming with life.

Also, we have Pensacola Beach Rubble that is in the same shallow waters and has a lot of life with the little bit of structure that is uncovered. This summer I even saw a sea turtle there.

Bay reef readies for fish, snorkelers | pnj.com | Pensacola News Journal

"Coastal Marine Services constructed the 6,400-square-foot reef in 13 to 14 feet of water, using 400 surplus concrete blocks donated by BP. It's about 553 feet from shore, just off the Park West parking lot where the bay merges with Santa Rosa Sound."

Great!

I've been thinking that a "shore diveable" reef site somewhere along the gulf coast would be a great idea.

As for snorkelers though, 553 to 800 feet offshore surface swim is a LONG way. I mean that's two football fields. that's a long way for your average swimmer (who really doesn't swim now days but a few feet at a time before they put their feet down in the pool).

Great!

I've been thinking that a "shore diveable" reef site somewhere along the gulf coast would be a great idea.

As for snorkelers though, 553 to 800 feet offshore surface swim is a LONG way. I mean that's two football fields. that's a long way for your average swimmer (who really doesn't swim now days but a few feet at a time before they put their feet down in the pool).

Well, I'm glad they chose to put it out that far because we need more good spearfishing from shore, since regulations state "No spearfishing within 100 yards of a public swimming beach"

It is going to be quite a swim though... Might be a good kayak dive?

Sounds like they got permission to dump their garbage in the ocean. I get what they are trying to do but...

One man's garbage is another fish's treasure. Bridge rubble is a great reef for fish... we have a lot of bridge rubble sites already out in the gulf that are swarming with life.

Also, we have Pensacola Beach Rubble that is in the same shallow waters and has a lot of life with the little bit of structure that is uncovered. This summer I even saw a sea turtle there.

I've found concrete to be a poor choice for reefing material. Steel seems to be the best (probably because of the mild electrical current it produces in seawater) but granite does okay too.

I'd rather have concrete than nothing though, and I do seem to find a fair number of turtles around concrete reefs, both inshore and off. That alone is enough to get my vote.

I've found concrete to be a poor choice for reefing material. Steel seems to be the best (probably because of the mild electrical current it produces in seawater) but granite does okay too.

I'd rather have concrete than nothing though, and I do seem to find a fair number of turtles around concrete reefs, both inshore and off. That alone is enough to get my vote.

I was surprised at the amount of life on the concrete rubble over at theo baars bridge... It was all larger stuff like snapper, grouper, and sheepshead but it still had a lot of life on it.

Same for the bay bridge rubble out in the gulf. Only thing I hate is there isn't much to figure out a point of reference for navigation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom