question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubiedoo

Reaction score
does padi and other agencies give you back your money or half your money if you fail to complete all requirements (if your instructor fails you? )

or will they make you keep redoing it till you pass?

It would be in LDS or the Instructor (whomever you wrote the check to) in any case.

I'd say it would depend GREATLY on your progress and your attitude. Besides, why would it be their/his fault if you couldn't perform the required skills. :confused:

-Rob

If you took a course in University or College & didn't pass, would you expect to get your money back?

Diving is no different. A person deserves to be paid for his work/efforts.

However, it really depends on the contract you signed with the person or shop doing your course. Some offer to keep working with you until you achieve mastery of the material & pass, while others do not.

do not worry about failing the course. Very few people fail with no hope of getting certified.

People do fail the written exam but usually you can retake it after reviewing the questions you missed.

Most people are nervous about taking the first few breaths underwater and mask clearing but by the end of the course pretty much everybody is reasonably comfortable with that.

Many people get a little scared during the Open Water certification dives because the visibility is different than the swimming pool they trained in, but there again ater a little time underwater they relax a bit and do just fine.

The key to getting past these areas is to prepare yourself well for each class and pool session. Study the material, do the homework and come to class with any questions you want to ask written down so you don't forget to ask them.

Same with the pool sessions--pay attention to the briefing the instructor gives and watch attentively the demo's done by the instructor or any assisting staff.

When it comes to the certification dives the standard advice that most everybody gives are these three items

1.) Relax

2.) Relax

3.) Relax

So all you have to do for your certification is relax and do what you already learned and know how to do. What could possibly be more fun than all that relaxing:)

I've been teaching for 7 1/2 yrs. now and diving for more than 20. I feel that if I student "Fails" it's not the students fault but the Instructors fault. I strive hard to make sure all students are ready to role when the get to the open water. Sometimes I take referrals from other Instructors or Dive Shops and that is where I have the problems with students in the Open Water. But I will still work with them until they are ready to go. Even if it means going back to the pool again.

There has been one circumstance about 6 or 7 yrs. ago when I was teaching a class. These two women couldn't swim worth a horses crap. They had to take a drag from a cigarette between each lap. Needless to say, they didn't get certified thru me.

my instructor, wouldn't take a penny from us until we had finished all our ow dives and he decided we had passed...you could walk away at any stage up till then and he wouldn't take a penny...i thought that was a very fair thing...this guy is an excellent instructor though...anyone in the bay area looking for a good instructor, i can recommend one...

Bay Area??? As in San Fran ?? I'll be out there in about 6-8 weeks. Plan on diving. Who do you recommend?

At my LDS, if a student can't make it through the first time they are asked if they want to retake the class. As long as they don't have a physical problem that prohibits them from doing scuba we work with them as long as they like, within reason. After 4 or 5 classes if they can't handle it by then, well, there has got to be another reason. We will refund as much as we can, usually less any books or materials that have been use.

my instructor, wouldn't take a penny from us until we had finished all our ow dives and he decided we had passed...

I can understand why you might feel such a thing is fair, but I feel exactly the opposite.

There are enough incompetent instructors out there 'teaching' students how to be overweighted bottom crawlers. I don't want to add a financial incentive to running people through a scuba course.

Think about it - this student's skills are marginal - you could realistically go either way. Pass him, move on, get paid, or spend a few extra hours or weeks before you see a dime? Some instructors are going to choose door number 1.

scubiedoo once bubbled...
does padi and other agencies give you back your money or half your money if you fail to complete all requirements (if your instructor fails you? )

or will they make you keep redoing it till you pass?

There's no set rule, but, for the most part, not only will they not refund any money, they may well charge for additional training sessions.

Back
Top Bottom