Simple W/W harness for AL 80's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CamG

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Greetings fellow SM divers I have just completed building my clone harness for warm water AL 80's with a 7mm wet suit for inflation.
Time for pool testing and hopefully trim adjustment.
I have been around one for a while but not had my own to play with and tweak for me.
I will try to post some pics of in water issues but the pool date keeps getting jacked due to schedule issues.

Watching others dive this simplistic rig is not the same as donning one yourself for that i am very sure.
There is a learning curve for every gear addition and subtraction.
I just recently put on my BM HP 100's for a dive!
Wow I need some practice, I had to remember the last time I was BM.
Oct. and the rust took about 15-20 minutes to rub off.

This is a serious question for SM people, Do you always feel so miserable going from SM to BM or the opposite?
I could not believe the rolling issues I encountered and it took literally about 1/4 the dive to wake my brain back up, "muscle memory".
I hope you all say it gets easier but I have a feeling that the only way it does is to keep fresh with both forms.
I have never disliked a dive but this one was close to that ragged edge where you would rather be somewhere else.

True to form but not the end!
I see the value in being well rounded and using both forms of diving as options but it has made me think long and hard.
Just like to get some perspective from others who have been down this road.

CamG Keep diving....Keep training....Keep learning!

It was over a year after I went SM before I did a BM dive. Fortunately, I had no issues. Well, okay, one issue. I grabbed a set of 108s and was miserable diving them BM because of all the weight on my back. Next BM dive was in 85s and it was much better. Since then, I dive BM at least once a month, but only when I'm teaching students in BM. I prefer SM and most of my personal diving requires it.

Reactions: Jax
Ah finally hitting the pool to test dive my harness!
I am ready to get wet as it has been two weeks of snow and sickness!
Really looking forward to the trial and error dives.
Has anyone put 3lbs on the tanks or just let it roll?

It is going to be fun to play with!
I am hoping the chlorine will help kick this head cold so I can visit JB next week end!

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

The last pool session our instructor made us get weight perfect and dive the first 1000 psi of our tanks without touching the inflator. It was interesting and a challenge but I will say it was the worst SAC rate I had in years. I was diving UTD new Z-System (without the manifold).

Well the pool was interesting, I added 1.5 lbs to each front d-ring to start but eventually put them on my chest d-rings.
That seemed to trim out better but when they were at 1500psi it was becoming apparent that I was light.
I wore my 7mm wetsuit and 5/3mm hooded vest so I was plenty buoyant.
I am thinking that without the hooded vest I might be about right, we will see on the next go.

On the comfort, IT WAS AWESOME! If you SM you need to give a whirl!
So simple and so very clean, the AL 80's are a dream to unsnap and move around however you wish!
It was a pain because I had only right hand valves but with a few minor adjustments it worked just fine.
I will put the rig to the test in pool some more before taking it to OW.
If it continues to move in the right direction I hope to test drive them next fall in cave country.

I want to scrutinize the buoyancy issues before such an attempt.
It really felt a lot like NM when you pushed them in front of you, very free.
I am enjoying playing with this very much!
We did a 1:33min dive in the pool performing skills and putting the rig to the test!
A few minor d-ring adjustments and it will be ready for the next run!

CamG Keep Diving....Keep training....Keep Learning!

Another 2hrs of pool time and this time with just a hood and no 3/5 hooded vest.
First 1200psi off of each tank was great and we were busy doing skills for quite a while.
When I started to drop beyond 2000psi, I free flowed them down to 1500psi and began where I left off last time.
This is where the rubber hits the road for me personally!
It became very apparent I was going to be light and so I added another 1.5 lbs.
When I reached 1200psi I needed another 1.5 lbs and still felt pretty light.
That is a total of 6lbs which means at the start of a dive I would be at least 3lbs heavy!

When you add weight at the beginning it translates into chugging more gas, for buoyancy! Not impressed with that.
Considered adding the DSS UTD wing but at $300 I am just a little hesitant.
It would solve the issue but I dive primarily cold water and cave environments and a NOMAD would work both places and for another $200 it would be a better investment.

I have not scrapped the idea yet and have only put about 4 hours of pool time into it.
It will be another 2hrs today but the final test will be in OW this spring once the water reaches 50º.
IF YOU ARE A COLD WATER DIVER THINK LONG AND HARD ABOUT THIS STYLE OF HARNESS IT IS NOT DESIGNED FOR OUR ENVIRONMENT!
You can adapt it but once you are done it looks a lot like a Nomad or other SM BC that has enough lift for our style of diving.
Just my experience and trails are leading me to this conclusion.
I love building my own rig but when it comes to serious dives it better pass the safety margin or it is not an option.

There is a reason UTD Z harness has only 20lbs of lift , monkey diving with one AL80!
Can you put a bigger wing on it? SURE
I do love the simplicity of the harness no doubt but the cost effectiveness of being versatile in several environments can pose some serious cost with wing additions / lead.
I would love to hear any comments or thoughts on this issue as so many of my norther brothers are looking at these rigs.
This is in water issues that TSandM and PeterGuy have already brought up and I am experiencing as well.

Challenging environments surf / current/ overhead you had better be very adept at buoyancy and have mastered your rig and KNOW both your limitations!

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

Your harness has no buoyancy at all, other than your suit?

I use the Z-Harness and Trim Device and for weighting this is what I discovered. I can use dual Catalina AL80s, 3Mil suit, Mares Quarto fins takes me 3lbs of weight with full tanks in 8 foot pool. So to offset tanks at 500 psi I have to add between 5 and 6lbs of weight for a total of 8 or 9lbs. I put two 3lbs ankle weights in the pockets of the Trim device for total of 6lbs which leaves me couple pounds either on the belt or trim.

I can handle about the first 1000psi with lungs and another 500 if I keep moving.

My instructor dives with a Hollis wing and Razor style harness and loves it. I also own and Hollis and just waiting for my plates so I can give it try. You can buy just the Hollis wing as replacement. part. Check it out here...

Sidemount Equipment (tips and tricks) - Steve Martin Sidemount Diving - Course Director PADI TecRec Side Mount Scuba Diving

I not planning on all those weight pockets, seems a little excessive.

It seems that the buoyancy swing of a 7mm suit is a lot to handle with no extra flotation. I could see it perhaps with a dry suit or thinner neoprene. I've seen Steve Martin's site, but the Hollis wing is pretty bulky compared the the one from UTD. It's good to know that it will work if needed though. Those weight pockets on the Trim device are pretty small--I have a couple of 3# bullet weights on order. AG says they sell soft weight pouches that will fit there, and hold up to 4# of shot each.

It seems that the buoyancy swing of a 7mm suit is a lot to handle with no extra flotation. I could see it perhaps with a dry suit or thinner neoprene. I've seen Steve Martin's site, but the Hollis wing is pretty bulky compared the the one from UTD. It's good to know that it will work if needed though. Those weight pockets on the Trim device are pretty small--I have a couple of 3# bullet weights on order. AG says they sell soft weight pouches that will fit there, and hold up to 4# of shot each.

I tried the bullet weights and I could feel them so I went to ankle weights I now have 1.5lbs and 3libs ones. They fit perfect in those long skinny pockets.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom