looking for info on a quarry in romulus, mi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ajparr

Registered
Reaction score
There is a quarry in romulus, MI off ecorse near I-275. I've heard that it used to be (~20 years ago) where everyone in the area did their checkout dives. I swam in it a few times, and it has crystal clear water, and seems like it'd be a great place for a dive.

there is now some major construction underway on it, but i'm still curious about it. I'm hoping that someone knows about this place, and can tell me what's the best way to get in, what is sunk in there, etc.

I know the chances are slim, but i'll keep my hopes up. also, if anyone knows about any other good places to dive in the detroit or ann arbor area, i'd appreciate their input.

thanks,

Don't know about Romulus but there is a new quarry being prepared for diving in Monroe. From what I understand, exclusive diving rights to it are being held by one of the local dive shops nearby.

Let me know if this is the one you're talking about. If so, I will get you contact numbers where you can get more info.

the one in monroe is being prepped for scuba centers in lincoln park, if i'm not mistaken.

that's not it, but thanks for trying!

I believe there is a quarry in Romulus, or at least there was one. It was probably the same one I did my first checkout dives in back in 1976. At that time I received instruction from a shop called Michigan Underwater Schools of Diving, and they were located on Fort street in Lincoln Park. They were affilated with NASDS at the time. No doubt much has changed, and the shop has probably changed ownership several times since then. In fact, the name "Scuba Centers" might be the current occupant of that same building. As to your original query, I'm afraid I don't remember the location of that particular quarry that they used to use. Keep us all posted on the new quarry that is being prepped. I'm sure there are many that would be interested in a new place to dive.

Does anyone know what quarry in Monroe is being prepped?

I know that the one south of Monroe right on South Dixie highway is pretty much ruined for diving for the short term future. When the developer who is building the homes around it cut down the perimeter tress he dumped everything into the quarry. The resulting silt out is expected to last quit a few years.

I completed OW certification through Monroe Dive Center over the summer and we went to White Star for our checkouts.

GlockDiver once bubbled...
Does anyone know what quarry in Monroe is being prepped?

I know that the one south of Monroe right on South Dixie highway is pretty much ruined for diving for the short term future. When the developer who is building the homes around it cut down the perimeter tress he dumped everything into the quarry. The resulting silt out is expected to last quit a few years.

Wonder if this could be the same one...

I don't the Monroe area very well, but I went to view the quarry (but didn't dive) last year at one of their fun days. I just remember it was close to the big outlet mall, near LaPlaisance Rd I believe, and I think you crossed a set of railroad tracks just before turning into the quarry entrance.

And yes, there was a hugh subdivision going up right on the banks of this quarry...

There used to be information on Scuba Centers website... but the updates are no longer there. There is a picture section of their "New training center 237 acres of water playland". Here's the link:

Monroe Quarry

Fair warning: sometimes this site just hangs when trying to load on my computers.

Scuba Centers of Michigan in Lincoln Park claims to have exclusive rights to develop the dive operations at this "new" quarry, which is the one within about 5 minutes of the outlet malls on I-75. I say they claim exclusive rights but I have heard the owner of Monroe Scuba dispute that claim. One would have to know the management of Scuba Centers to understand- they do tend to be rather pompous in there view of all things scuba. In any event, they have been soliciting anything of value which can be sunk for viewing- planes, trains and automobiles come to mind. I have also heard some local concern as to how exclusive the dive site could become as it would be controlled by a single LDS but they are talking about developing fascilities such as an on site air fill station. No way could a single LDS support that type of investment. Expect some sort of public access next year. I for one would welcome a local dive alternative to Ohio. By all accounts this quarry in Monroe could exceed 140' when it finishes filling up.

okay... bad post on my part.

I know exactly where this quarry is, and I also know where the "front entrance" to it is. The problem is that the construction company has 24 hour security, and I don't want to have to explain my presence to the cops.

I am looking to do what I will call a "covert dive mission" and what I need to know is the best unofficial way to get in. I'm not sure, but I think there are some houses on the south side, and I know there is a cemetary near or possibly on the south side. If anyone has snuck into this quarry in the past, their input is what I am looking for most.

hey deepblue, do you by chance recall what was sunk in there and what the conditions were like?

thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom