Show your support for egyptian divers and people

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MartinNorway78

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Like many of us here, I have spent many hours underwater in the redsea. I have made good friends in Egypt.

It hurts me to see how the Police are beating the crap out of young people who are ust fed up with the corrcupt government, increasing inflation, unemployment. One of my DMs has a masters degree, but he had no choice but to start working in the dive industry. First he didnt like it, now he loves diving, but he was never given any choice.

I urge all divers who love the red sea and wants to show their support to oin the facebook group: SCUBA DIVERS IN SUPPORT OF EGYPTIAN LIBERATION

Welcome to Facebook

If you are currently working there everyone understands that you might be hessitant to join, but for us tourists and foregneirs; we can show our support this way!

Best Regards
Martin

Great. Just what the world needs. Yet another pointless facebook group. That'll really turn into practical help on the ground....

Egyptians must rise up themselves. Unfortunately, toppling tyranny is a very messy affair. I rooting for you guys. By the way, I loved my visits to Oslo.

Toppling is even harder when one of the main world powers gives outright unblinking support to the regime!

Far more than that.
Mubarack is a west friendly dictator. He also recognises israel and talks to them. There is a MASSIVE sharing of intelligence from Egypt to the west and its intelligence services are very good and very well connected in lots of countries the US classes as hostile.

The US KNOWS that whoever replaces him in any sort of coup OR any sort of fair election will from the demographics there be far less friendly to them and to israel. They stand to lose intelligence, border concessions, assistance with the military in terms of exercises and overseas deployments and a lot more.

Just like Saudi Arabia, its a dictatorship, suppresses human rights and has no form of democracy but it will be supported by the US as the currently dictator is "friendly" to their interests. Its just the public hypocrisy. Tunisia "democracy is good". Egypt and Saudi "both sides should talk. The government is stable".

I say support them "all Egyptians" by going there and spending your hard earned

We have e mailed friends in the dive industry in Egypt. They believe that the current government will be replaced by a hardline Islamist regime. They are concerned that westerners will no longer be welcome to work and live in the country (They actually own a property there). They feel this could radically alter or destroy the dive industry in Egypt.

Why do the fear a hardline Islamist regime? There's a reasonable middle class in Egypt and I don't imagine them buying into that much. And Egypt gets a large amount of its GDP from tourism - if they kill that off they will screw their country. People are rioting about food and commodity prices as much as corruption and misrule. I don't think any regime, Mulsim Brotherhood included, would risk that ire on the back of what we're all witnessing.

Clearly we can't say for certain and clearly the Muslim Brotherhood have large support but personally I don't believe it will turn into a hardline Islamist state. Here's hoping I'm right!

J

I recently retired from Government service and worked with and have many friends in the Egyptian Navy. This whole debate about the Muslim Brotherhood depends entirely on which way Egypt's Military swings. The past three rulers have come from the military with Naser and Sadat having the backing of the Muslim Brotherhood. MB assinated Sadat over the treaty with Israel. Mubaruk crushed them early on in his tenure to help eliminate the same thing happening to him. Mubaruk has had a corrupt regime but none of this would have happened if it wasn't for food prices rising to a level that the people can't afford to eat, trickle down from our economic woes. MB was actually late to this party and just see a chance to fill a void. Please note the military has not fired a shot at the demonstrators. They know they are revered and have the support of the people. They can not afford to have the people against them should the next leader come from their ranks. The Egyptian people have my support and prayers in this and whatever happens I hope it is the best outcome for them. Why do we think if a countries government is not like ours it is somehow diminished or wrong. Egypt for the Egyptians whether they remain a staunch ally or not. It is first and foremost their country and their government. If they chose to live under a Caliphate it is their choose, I personally hope this is not the direction they go, but so be it. My 2 cents.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom