Where to get spearfishing info/forums

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zimm

Registered
Reaction score
I just did my first spearfishing adventure and I'm hooked. (No pun intended). Where's a good place to learn more on how to spearfish? I'm also looking for speargun and spearpole reviews.

I had my first amberjack drag me up and down the wreck I was diving on. Then it wrapped my legs up with the steel cable. It took awhile to get that fixed. Then he wrapped himself up on the anchor line. Finally one of the more experienced divers grabbed him by the mouth and gills and he stopped trashing right away. That would have been a good piece of info to have before I shot the fish.

Hey Zimm,

where did you catch the Jack? I go wreck diving almost every weekend, but I have not seen any big ones out there. I was in Destin this weekend, but the dive shop there would not allow us to bring our spear guns.

Good job in getting the Jack. Take care.

zimm once bubbled...
I just did my first spearfishing adventure and I'm hooked. (No pun intended). Where's a good place to learn more on how to spearfish? I'm also looking for speargun and spearpole reviews.

I had my first amberjack drag me up and down the wreck I was diving on. Then it wrapped my legs up with the steel cable. It took awhile to get that fixed. Then he wrapped himself up on the anchor line. Finally one of the more experienced divers grabbed him by the mouth and gills and he stopped trashing right away. That would have been a good piece of info to have before I shot the fish.

I'm also headed towards spearfishing....

I've recently seen a short video on the net about stringers, and how to get a fish to quiet down, and sticking a finger through the gills was mentioned as one way to take the wind out of their sales....heh

They talked about grabbing around the windpipe area would have been if it was a human....Stops em dead. (excuse the pun)

I have soooooo much to learn. I still need to buy a gun.

--Sean

Sean

scubasean once bubbled...

I've recently seen a short video on the net about stringers, and how to get a fish to quiet down, and sticking a finger through the gills was mentioned as one way to take the wind out of their sales....heh

Where did you see the video as i would like to watch it. :D

That's why real spearos carry BIG knifes, to deliver the coup de ta (deleted by Rick Murchison), right Lal? :) zeN

Many: See the PM I send you.

As for the Big Freak'n Knife... I'm going to carry mine on spearfishing trips from now on. It must have looked great to see me tied around the legs with SS cable with an angry fish dragging me around. I had the gun in the right hand and my DIR style 2" blunt "knife" in my left trying to figure out how to stab the thing. I gave up and put the knife away...

One of the other guys had to stab his amberjack and then a huge bullshark came out of the wreck and started following him. He said he poked him in the head with the tip of his speargun just to prove the point that he wasn't a snack. The shark turned around but kept following. He ended up giving the shark the amberjack.

Amber Jack are very good table fare here on the West Coast of florida. Folks on the East coast tend to end up with a lot of worms in them so they generally don't eat them. Better make sure you have a good shot on one though or you'll be buying a new gun. (Cobia are even worse...harder to "stone" and 10x as tough.)

Have fun shooting and spearboard.com is a great resource for spearfishing info.

As far as what kind of guns to use, check out:
http://www.slinginsteel.com/
I bought one of Kevins guns two years ago and LOVE it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom