105 or 60

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Depends, what camera do you have? If you have aps-c sensor, 105 is pretty limited whereas 60 would be more versatile. However, if macro is your specialty, 105 is a better lens.

If you have a ff sensr, then 105 would be more useful because to get a true 1:1 macro, your subject would literally be touching the lens.

Depends, what camera do you have? If you have aps-c sensor, 105 is pretty limited whereas 60 would be more versatile. However, if macro is your specialty, 105 is a better lens.

If you have a ff sensr, then 105 would be more useful because to get a true 1:1 macro, your subject would literally be touching the lens.

thanks i have a D90

any views on one over the other?

ta

It depends on where you dive. If you mainly dive in murky water, as I do, the 60mm lens is the obvious choice as you want to have as little water as possible between the lens and your subject. Everybody here on the west coast of Sweden uses the 60mm as the visibility is seldom good enough to use the 105mm. In clear tropical water, both lenses work fine but the 105mm has the advantage that you don't need to get so close to your subject, making it easier to photograph skittish creatures. I used both lenses on a recent trip to the Red Sea, in excellent visibility, and got nice shots with both.

If you are only going to have one macro lens, I would go with the 60mm, especially with a cropped sensor. It's going to be a lot more versatile and easier to frame. I have both the 60mm and 105mm and still prefer the 60mm on dives where I am not certain what I will see. You still get the same 1:1 macro as on the 105mm (with shorter working distance) but you can still do portraiture on smallish creatures.

I had the 105VR and I have the 60.

The 105 is much more difficult to use if you have any movement - surge, poor bouyancy, moving subject, etc. It is a fantastic lens otherwise.

I gave up on using it underwater. I use the 60 for underwater macro now.

I also use the Nikon 12-24 and 16-85.

I had the 105VR and I have the 60.

The 105 is much more difficult to use if you have any movement - surge, poor bouyancy, moving subject, etc. It is a fantastic lens otherwise.

I gave up on using it underwater. I use the 60 for underwater macro now.

Interesting! I have no experience of the 105mm VR but I don't find my 105mm D more difficult to use than my 60mm D.

I have the older versions of the 60 and 105 and since going digital I have not bought a port for the 105.

Which housing do you use for your D90?

I am using a Sea&Sea housing for my D300 and the macro port I use works with three lenses, Nikkor 60 and 85 as well as the Tokina 35 micro lenses.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom