DIR in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaInChicago

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Anyone have a short list of places that are DIR friendly in Cozumel? I'll be there from Feb 6-13th if anyone is interested in getting in a couple of dives or anyone who might be interested in DIR diving, I'd be happy to spend some time going over skills or answering some questions.

I might also be up for jumping over to the mainland and doing some dives if anyone has some suggestions (not c1/2 certified :( ,yet).

Dan

I think the guys at Zero Gravity will take you on cenote tours if you have Fundies.

I highly recommend the zero gravity cavern tours with Danny, Fred & Chris :). It's best to check early for guide availability and to confirm that the tours are still being offered. A fundies rec pass is required.

Be careful, you might just fall in love with the Cenotes :)!

Have fun!

We dove with Aldora Divers. They had no problem with providing us with 32% and letting us dive profiles that were compatible with that (although we had five divers in our group, so we pretty much had the boat). Mateo, who was our guide, is a cave explorer, so he was very familiar with our equipment and nothing raised any eyebrows. I liked Aldora a lot, and would dive with them again if I were to go back to Coz (which is unlikely, because if I get that close to the caves, that's where I'm going :) ).

I would HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommend seeing if you can set up a day or two of guided cavern diving with the ZG guys. That's how I did my first cave dives, and look what happened to me . . . :D (Danny is an absolutely incredible guide -- I think he knows every inch the caverns by heart, and he can show you pot shards and embedded crystals and all kinds of interesting stuff.)

If non-DIR is a deal breaker, plan on importing your buddy.

Otherwise, I'll echo what I said on James's facebook with slightly more info:

I dove with two ops there. One was Blue Angel Scuba, the other was some IANTD shop my buddy had a connection to. Blue Angel was good. The other was not.

In Coz, you have to dive with a DM by law. Your best bet is to find a place that will allow you to run your own profiles rather than get annoyed if you do a staged ascent, etc..

Like Lynne, The DM I had the best experience with in Coz was also named "Matteo"... odd since I'm sure it was a different person. He's a cave diver, originally from Chicago IIRC. He pretty much let me do whatever I wanted in terms of profile. He was hands-off (didn't herd me around), and able to answer whatever questions I had about flora and fauna.

I stayed at Blue Angel and picked them at a whim, but was happily surprised to dive with Matt, and requested to be on his boat as often as possible.

Have a great time. I wish I were going...

This was our Mateo:

05e207e0.jpg

I had my first trip to Mexico in December and did 4 days cavern diving with ZG, as it was during the GUE conference they organised a Canadian Cave 2 diver as my guide.

I had such a great time I am going back around Sept. :)

Not DIR but dove a BP/W with a long hose this week with scuba mua and had no problems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom