octocity ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MXGratefulDiver

Mental toss flycoon
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
What do you suppose is the last thing a crab gets to see before it dies?

Probably something like this ...

IMG_0023.jpg

I was down in Hood Canal yesterday with three of my diving buddies. We went to a site I hadn't been to since about 2004 ... a pinnacle called "Flagpole" ... so named because it sits out about a hundred yards off a rocky point with a flagpole on it. This was also my first time doing this dive from shore, as it's a bit of a swim out to the pinnacle ... which is called "The Knuckle". The top of the pinnacle sits at about 60 fsw, and it drops down a steep slope to about 130. The site is known for cloud sponges, which is what we were going to see.

We picked a perfect day for it ... there was no wind, and the surface was glass-flat, making the 10-minute surface swim out to the buoy easier than usual (next time I'm bringing a scooter). Dropping down the buoy line I was delighted to see that we were going to have pretty good visibility ... I could clearly make out the bottom about 30 feet before we got there. Taking a moment to make sure everyone was squared away, we proceeded down the slope toward the cloud sponges ... which start at about 80 fsw. At about 95 fsw I found a particularly large and lovely cluster, so I stopped to take some pictures ...

IMG_0001.jpg

After a couple shots I decided to get my dive buddy in the picture for scale. But I noticed he was about 15 feet away, taking pictures of something. So I wandered over to see what it was ...

IMG_0014.jpg

I cruised in for some shots, hoping to not spook him. But when they're this big, they're not typically concerned about divers ... even when said divers are shining their big-ass HID lights where they shouldn't oughtta ...

IMG_0011.jpg

After a while he decided he'd had enough of the papparazi and flicked a warning tentacle our way ... letting us know it was time to back off ...

IMG_0022.jpg

So we decided to leave it to its hunting and move on ... we were by then at about 105 fsw, and wanted some time to check out the sponges. But before we went too far we found something even better ... a very large pair of octos in the act of doing "the act" ... ah, love is in the air. Cue the tinkling of wine glasses, soft music, loving caresses ... and about 200 lbs of calamari ...

IMG_0037.jpg

Heading back upslope, we found the cloud sponges we'd come down here looking for ...

IMG_0047.jpg

IMG_0053.jpg

Moving on, we came across octopus #4 ... this one clearly not wanting our companionship ... I called him Mr. Angry ...

IMG_0054.jpg

Eventually we had to head shallow, and toward shore ... visiting a smaller pinnacle that went from about 65 fsw to about 30. This pinnacle was just covered with plumose anemones ... and nested among them we found octopus #5 of the dive ... sound asleep ...

IMG_0069.jpg

This has got to be one of the goofiest shots of an octopus I've ever taken ... his tentacles are curled up like little "feet" underneat him ...

IMG_0074.jpg

We made our way back to shore, and after about an hour and half surface interval, decided to go check out a shallow reef on the opposite side of the point. It was a fairly long swim over a silty bottom to get there, and except for the occasional rock and sand anemone, a pretty uneventful first 20 minutes. Then we hit the structure and found our sixth octopus of the day ... this one also nestled in among the anemones.

IMG_0100.jpg

... and, finally, no self-respecting Hood Canal dive would be complete without at least one wolf eel ... which is the only one we found on this day ...

IMG_0091.jpg

Overall, an awesome day of diving ... it's usually pretty special when you can find an octopus out roaming around during the day. To find six out in the open on the same day is about as special as it gets ... I feel very fortunate to have experienced it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Very impressive!

Overall, an awesome day of diving ... it's usually pretty special when you can find an octopus out roaming around during the day. To find six out in the open on the same day is about as special as it gets ... I feel very fortunate to have experienced it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Have you purchased your lottery ticket yet? :D

Wow, what a dive, I must pay that site a visit.

Thanks for sharing Bob.

Badass photos Bob! Thanks for posting them!

Bob: Great pictures. Good write-up. Wonderful experience. With your diving and posting about diving, when do you have time to eat and sleep?:eek:ctopus::eek:ctopus::eek:ctopus::eek:ctopus::eek:ctopus:
- Curt

I realize I would never be so lucky to see all those octopi but I would love to dive this site.

How do I find out the location?

Any info on the dive site other then 100 yd surface swim?

thank you for the info.

By the way, I have dove with you once several years ago, I believe in Seattle. Would love the opportunity to dive again.

Rob

Back
Top Bottom