question on DIR compliant fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rivers

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
*Mods please feel free to move this if you feel it's better placed in the equipment forum*

I am looking to take Fundies this summer, so I am starting to make my rig DIR compliant. I am currently looking at fins, but my issue is I have ridiculously small feet, US boys 5.5. I wear a size XXS booties. My fins are currently the original Aqualung Blade 2, size small, and they were the only pair of fins I found that fit, and I don't need a bigger size fin for my drysuit. I have looked at Hog, scubapro, Hollis, XS scuba, and OMS fins, but the smallest size I have come across is a medium, which is still going to be too big. Does anyone have any suggestions for those of us with small feet?

Thanks

*Mods please feel free to move this if you feel it's better placed in the equipment forum*

I am looking to take Fundies this summer, so I am starting to make my rig DIR compliant. I am currently looking at fins, but my issue is I have ridiculously small feet, US boys 5.5. I wear a size XXS booties. My fins are currently the original Aqualung Blade 2, size small, and they were the only pair of fins I found that fit, and I don't need a bigger size fin for my drysuit. I have looked at Hog, scubapro, Hollis, XS scuba, and OMS fins, but the smallest size I have come across is a medium, which is still going to be too big. Does anyone have any suggestions for those of us with small feet?

Thanks

DUI makes the most ridiculous boots for their dry suits--the Rock Boots.... My wife wears size 7womens shoes, but with the rock boots on over her drysuit bottoms, she could not fit into XL jet fins ! They were too small.
Clearly, if you want to use jet fins, rock boots would be your ticket....however, another reason DUI should get spanked on the Internet, is the way the high ankle is so stiff that for many divers, they may not be able to point their toes while finning--kind of dependent on the shape of your calf/ankle/foot....
I threw out the pair that came with mine, as did Sandra. But for you, they might be the ticket....if they restrict your toe pointing, try wearing converse sneakers under the jet fins.

Personally, I am DIR, but I use open heel carbon fiber freedive fins with my dry suit...but that is in sharp contrast to the jetfin norm.

Personally, I am DIR, but I use open heel carbon fiber freedive fins with my dry suit...but that is in sharp contrast to the jetfin norm.

I was just looking over the GUE website and it says that as long as the fins are rigid and not split, they are okay... So does this mean I don't have to get a new pair of fins?

I was just looking over the GUE website and it says that as long as the fins are rigid and not split, they are okay... So does this mean I don't have to get a new pair of fins?

As long as you can perform the required kicks, you're fine.

basically

By US boys size 5.5, is that the equivalent of a womens size 7? Or is this on children size chart?

If this is on an adult size chart, a Large Jet Fin will work just fine for you....an XL Jet Fin can also work fine if you're diving rock boots / Converse / thick socks (due to cold water). I wear a womens size 7 and dive the XL Jets very comfortably.

By US boys size 5.5, is that the equivalent of a womens size 7? Or is this on children size chart?

If this is on an adult size chart, a Large Jet Fin will work just fine for you....an XL Jet Fin can also work fine if you're diving rock boots / Converse / thick socks (due to cold water). I wear a womens size 7 and dive the XL Jets very comfortably.

It's approximately a women's 7... so good to know. thanks

It's approximately a women's 7... so good to know. thanks

L / XL Jets can be had for cheap....keep an eye out on the forums and/or on ebay. It's not uncommon to see them go for ~$50, so if that's all the "buying twice" you have to do, you're off to a good start :wink:

L / XL Jets can be had for cheap....keep an eye out on the forums and/or on . It's not uncommon to see them go for ~$50, so if that's all the "buying twice" you have to do, you're off to a good start :wink:

I wish... just ordered a set of hog regs, but i needed to anyway since my current set of regs aren't the best for coldwater. and i've already upgraded from a jacket bc to bp/w, so really, it's almost a whole new rig.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom