Man of wars invade Islamorada

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deeper thoughts

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Today on Davis,Hens and Chickens and Davey/Crocker reefs there were hundreds of Man of Wars. Be careful out there because they are everywhere. One plus is that there were plenty of turtles munching on them.

70-71

We were going to snorkel but thought twice about it

we attempted to free dive for lobster this morning inside grecian and the elbow, an man of wars were just everywhere(viz sucked as well!!). iv'e never seen so many in all my years in the keys(we even observed them in south and north creek leading to the ocean). i heard nearly all the snorkel boats cancelled today. on the plus side we observed 2 turtles munching on a few on the ride in,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

We saw a metric ton of jellies on Davey Croaker (??) on Monday afternoon. Not positive they were MoWs - they were all about 6" in diameter but tentacles were very short. They were throughout the water column from about 15' up to the service. Was a really cool site sitting near the bottom and looking up at all of them.

we attempted to free dive for lobster this morning inside grecian and the elbow, an man of wars were just everywhere(viz sucked as well!!). iv'e never seen so many in all my years in the keys(we even observed them in south and north creek leading to the ocean). i heard nearly all the snorkel boats cancelled today. on the plus side we observed 2 turtles munching on a few on the ride in,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

Someone told me that the turtles go blind after eating them. Is this true?

i just read that loggerhead and leatherback turtles have a fondness for man of wars and are immune to the stinging cells(one reason sea turtles are prone to digesting garbage and other floating bags as they resemble the floating man of wars). ocean divers went to molasses this AM and had to abort the dives due to the sheer #s of jellies. i heard they went to the statue(althought i was within a mile of north dry rocks and they were everywhere). the 2 juvenile loggerheads we observed on the surface appeared to be chowing on the jellies with reckless abandon!!

reefman
key largo

i just read that loggerhead and leatherback turtles have a fondness for man of wars and are immune to the stinging cells(one reason sea turtles are prone to digesting garbage and other floating bags as they resemble the floating man of wars). ocean divers went to molasses this AM and had to abort the dives due to the sheer #s of jellies. i heard they went to the statue(althought i was within a mile of north dry rocks and they were everywhere). the 2 juvenile loggerheads we observed on the surface appeared to be chowing on the jellies with reckless abandon!!

reefman
key largo

I will try to head out Sat and Mon. Hopefully it will be better

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom