Central Ontario Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

how far you willing to travel? Are you looking for boat charters of shore diving?

There is diving all over the place, Penetang, Barrie, St. Law, Muskoka, Parry Sound.

Butch can help you find stuff in the Peterb area.

Try and find a copy of Cris Kohl's book "Dive Ontario!" (if you can find it, I think that it is out of print; with a new edition in the works - just rumour no proof)

Or you can check with your local LDS

Like the Diving Lady asked....How far will you go? How deep can you go? What do you want to see? (hint, say wrecks)

Well, we typically head down to kingston area for the wrecks there. This weekend we're headed up to tobermory. But looking for out of the way places with anything interesting to see. Depth isnt much of an issue, but i'm not trimixin' yet, so not too deep. Boat access isn't a problem if thats required either. Mostly just looking for places that might have some neat bottom structure or other interesting things to see.

Halfway 'tween you and Toby is Penetang. There are some interesting old (and shallow) wrecks there. I'd hire a charter because they are a fair ways out.

Options:
Marquette Schooner 40 ft deck is gone, hull remains, nice bow
Michigam Steel barge 15 ft went down in 1943
Mapledawn was steel frieghter now jigsaw puzzle 30 ft (25 when I was there)

They are shallow but might be warmer (??!!)

Other options are the Waome in Lake Muskoka (steamer 50-70 ft) or Parry Sound has The Atlantic (Steamer, burned twice once as the Manatoulin then finally as the atlantic 40 ft)
the Jane McLeod (Schooner, 25 ft)

Lots of choices. By the bye, I dove/dived the Marquette and the Mapledawn. I know the Parry Sound but have not been under.

Of course there is always the Arabia (Just Kidding DG...I'm not ready for her.....YET)

Originally posted by Ontario Diver
....Of course there is always the Arabia (Just Kidding DG...I'm not ready for her.....YET)

Good thing OD -- not that I don't think you can handle her, just wait a bit OK? Get a few more dives, and wreck experience...... beside, I want to dive Tober with you.. :D

hmmm....

I've done a little bit of diving up on Stoney. Mostly shore stuff just exploring around. I think we hit about 40-50 feet or so. Mostly just rock formations, but the vis was good. It should only be about a 20 minute drive from ptb. I don't think it really matters where you get in.

I've heard of quite a few divers heading up to Fenelon Falls, but have never checked it out myself.

I agree with Ontario diver....this sounds like a question for Butch

Here's a link to a pretty decent site on Ontario Diving:

Ontario Diving

Have fun! :D

~SubMariner~

Not really a lot around. Stoney Lake is a good option, not too deep and good rock formations. I have dove in Weslymacoon Lake (close to Bancroft) deep lake if you stay closer to shore you'll find good rock structures.

Burleigh Falls of course is good. You will know by now that diver just died ther this wknd. Doing his AOW, don't know the details yet, but he was a 55 year Physcologist from Whitby I think.

You could try the Trent system in the towns (Campbellford eg).

I think the Haliburton Highlands are good also , deep and cold/

Butch :peace:

Thats what i've been finding as well. We've been to hells gate on stoney (one of the darkest dives i've done to date - pitch black at 20 feet on a sunny day). Been to burleigh too many times, but we've been going to a little spot just up past the lock near the falls recently which seems to have some nice structure. (haven't heard much about the guy that died yet myself - was in toby all weekend).

We actually did do cambellford by the old rail bridge supports and found a bag of stolen lottery tickets, but not much else there.

Have done one about an hour north of peterborough called salmon lake which got down to about 100' but was quite chilly at the bottom. But after this weekend, i'm thinking it wasn't so chilly after all.

Will keep looking though. Just bought some charts of the whole trent severn so we'll see if they reveal anything tempting.

steve

Back
Top Bottom