!!! New LBTS WEBCAM !!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trigfunctions

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This is AWESOME! If you go to the Broward County website for beach webcams,

Live Fort Lauderdale Web Cam - Fort Lauderdale CVB

there is now a link to a live webcam at the Windjammer Beach Resort that shows the beach on the south side of the LBTS Commercial Street pier.

Lauderdale-By-The-Sea:
Windjammer Beach Resort,
Superior Small Lodging

This is a FANTASTIC resource for those of us who dive and snorkel at the beach regularly. THANK YOU Broward County and Windjammer Beach Resort!

What he said, but think about LBTS, too...it's about halfway home from BHB. Distance-wise a little more of a walk, but not much (I'm 56, so I know what you mean). Certainly different from BHB, but very cool in it's own way. Maybe a morning BHB and afternoon LBTS combo?

I'm looking at maybe doing both early morning dives at BHB Saturday and Sunday this week, and *maybe* give LBTS a go on Saturday afternoon. (Gonna give Jupiter Mermaid a call on my drive over to the east coast (lost out in my west coast tennis tournament), skirting *north* of Lake Okeechobee this time.

I'd *really* like to hear from anyone who has divven LBTS of late. I love this web cam: Windjammer Beach Resort - Live HD Web Cam Lauderdale-By-The-Sea, Florida , but I'm just not sure how (or if) it relates to viz conditions. Might it be a day or two "ahead" of the viz? For example, if it is flat calm via the web cam on a given morning, yet was rough the previous day, does that tell me anything about what the viz will be like?

I've twice now tried rough surf there just to see what it would be like under water - and *really* wanted to test out new camera gear. I've concluded that less than ten feet of viz with a large surge is not what I'm looking for.
04.gif

Bottom line, any insights for LBTS diving this weekend? TIA Think I'll copy and paste this to a new thread, as well.

Kevin
Savannah

My experience with the vis at LBTS is that it is somewhat random. I've been there when it is dead calm with with bad vis, and very rough with good vis, and every other possible combination. The vis can be negatively affected if there is a warm layer floating on top of a cooler layer in flat water, and the vis can be postiviely influenced if there is a strong north-south current in rough water - and you can't see either of those things by looking from the beach. I haven't noticed any good way to predict the vis, but maybe others have seen a correlation.

We snorkel more than we dive there, so the great thing about this new camera is that we can look to see if the water is flat for snorkeling -and if it is, we can jump right in the car and go!

My experience with the vis at LBTS is that it is somewhat random. I've been there when it is dead calm with with bad vis, and very rough with good vis, and every other possible combination. The vis can be negatively affected if there is a warm layer floating on top of a cooler layer in flat water, and the vis can be postiviely influenced if there is a strong north-south current in rough water - and you can't see either of those things by looking from the beach. I haven't noticed any good way to predict the vis, but maybe others have seen a correlation.
Just imagine how great it would be if they installed an underwater live webcam!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom