St. Andrews Jetty question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

barjam

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Me and my son dove the jetties for the first time last year and we really didn't know where the good spots were so we stayed in pretty close to the rocks channel side. So the question is where should we go from the break in the wall?

It seems like that maybe down and towards the channel a bit might be good or back n/e towards where the rock wall goes below the water line might also be good. I am guessing that going out towards the ocean might not be the best although I don't know.

Thanks.

The trick is to time the tides right and you can go down the wall either direction. Never, and I mean NEVER, swim out into the channel. I say this because if you for whatever reason at that point, need to surface, you will be IN THE CHANNEL, and at high risk of experiencing first hand that most recreational boaters don't pay attention to anything when on the water.

Best time is to submerge one hour before high tide. I usually ride the bottom (where the sand meets the bottom of the rocks on the way out (South) then ascend to 25ft-30ft on my way back (you'll see different stuff each way). Be sure to plan extra gas for your return as the currents can be strange, and you may have to fight it both in and out on the same day despite what the tides are "supposed" to do.

Not many people agree with me, but I like to go North from the cut and very slowly explore every nook and cranny. Sometimes you can find little treasures in there that other miss because South is the direction that all the cool kids go.....

I also like to go straight down at the cut through to where the rocks and sand meet. I then turn right following this line until I hit my predetermined turn pressure. I then ascend to about 35 feet and head back to the cut through. Hey, i'm a cool kid what can I say :wink:.

Thanks guys. I will try it the cool kids way next time. Last time we were down there I didn't plan our vacation around the tides and we missed high tide. We had a nice set of boat dives though (dove right through the oil).

Enjoy your dive! That is a great site with a lot of things to see. There shouldn't be any oil that will get in your way this year, for a lot of us down here that was a bummer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom