North GA Mountain Lakes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
does anyone know whether the North GA Mountain lakes: Zwerner, Haiwassee, Nottley, blue Ridge Lakes, are Divable, Leagally?

Has anyone been? I just trying to think of cheat close alternatives to the death Hole: Lanier.

What about Hartwell, worth the time?

Thanks All.
-Nick

I have been wanting to plan a trip to lake Burton,just never seem to make it up there. The city of Burton was flooded when the lake was impounded back in the 1920s,I want to dive on it and see what is left down there after so many years. I have done several dives on Hartwell,they were ok but need to do some more scouting around for better spots. I am trying to find a good deep spot off of the rip rap on the dam. The Georgia side was a no go about 30-40 ft with about 5 ft of vis,I want to check out the SC side of the dam to see if it is any deeper with better vis.

I dive Lanier regularly and it is cold and dark.... Hartwell will be much of the same. Lakes in the mtns would likely have better visibility however the cold factor will still exist.

I would dive Lanier to get wet not a lot to look at . Good place to work on low viz diving. and as stated above cold. Drive a couple hours to the northeast to Lake Jocassee. Just north of Hartwel by Seneca SC. A great place to dive

I dove Blue Ridge once not much to see, poor viz muddy bottom. Lanier and Altoona about the same. Muddy bottoms.
Carter Lake is the best lake in GA. I have dove, viz 6-12 rocky bottom with silt. It gets dark fast, but seen 15-20ft viz a 100'. I did my tech training there. Depths to 450ft at dam. Water temp on surface in the summer gets in the high 60's-lower 70's, thermo starts around twenty feet. Low 40's around 200ft winter or summer. But it doesn't beat Lake Jocassee.

I dove Blue Ridge once not much to see, poor viz muddy bottom. Lanier and Altoona about the same. Muddy bottoms.
Carter Lake is the best lake in GA. I have dove, viz 6-12 rocky bottom with silt. It gets dark fast, but seen 15-20ft viz a 100'. I did my tech training there. Depths to 450ft at dam. Water temp on surface in the summer gets in the high 60's-lower 70's, thermo starts around twenty feet. Low 40's around 200ft winter or summer. But it doesn't beat Lake Jocassee.

I agree, Jocassee is the best lake diving around..... good vis and warm water beat out poor vis and cold water.

Back
Top Bottom