[Video] Barge, Breakwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Myka

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,
A nice dive dive to do from the shore at breakwater, Monterey, California.
It's a long long kick dive, along the warf at the beginning.

I think it's better to do it with a scooter ! A double tanks or a rebreather will be more confortable if you decide to swim/kick.
You do want to take a compass and a diving reel or a spool. The barge is actually 20-30ft away from the end of the permanent line, and it helps a lot to find the line for the swim back.
The barge is far out enough to be in boat traffic (I heard a lot of boats, very loud).
Don't go to the surface out there if at all possible.

The website of the BAUE helped me, and I think that it's the BAUE who put the line; so thank you very much.
BAUE Barge Project Videos
BAUE Barge Project

I dived 2 times on the barge, the first time I found the line without any problem, using a 330/340 angle with the compass, from the wharf#13.
the second time, I spend 10 min looking for the line. The bottle that help to find the line was just changed, and it was more difficult to see it. With an angle of 330, you can miss the line. With 340, it's better I think.

Anyway, thanks for the line (To whom it may concern).
Don't try this dive if you don't like to swimm a lot, and if you are not confortable with compass, and with boats at the surface.

on Vimeo,
[vimeo]19617871[/vimeo]

on Youtube,
[youtubehq]uPmFthkSDz4[/youtubehq]

Myka great report.... It's nice to hear that someone's found a fix for the focus problem...I've been thinking about getting one of those for the scooter... I think I'll have to start saving up now.

Great video too. Amazingly critter filled. The Mola are awesome to watch. Specially when theres more than guys 1. Thanks for putting in warning about kicking to the barge... It is way out there and shouldn't be taken lightly... proper planning and disciplined execution are key to having a good and safe Barge dive.

Oh and you forgot to mention... With diving on wrecks No Penetration unless you are properly trained and equiped :wink:

Great video! I was wondering if you were on a CCR when the molas didn't swim away from you (I've heard that they are not very afraid of divers, but they seem to always swim away from me).

A few weekends ago Kathydee and I went to the barge and the bottles were on the sand (the barnacles had finally ripped holes in them), but Matt (a friend of Guy Alcala and me, sorry, I don't remember his last name) heard about this and replaced them that same weekend, so there are markers again at both screws.

Thanks for sharing the video!

I wonder if being on your rebreather allowed you to get that close to filiming? I notice the critters come up to you a little closer than traditional scuba.

I wonder if being on your rebreather allowed you to get that close to filiming? I notice the critters come up to you a little closer than traditional scuba.

Yes, usually fishes come closer, because there is no bubbles, so they are not affraid.
sometimes, it happens to me that fishes touch me (or even "push me").
In this case with the mola molas, i didn't use any zoom with the video camera... they were really really close, enough to be caressed.
I don't have backLCD screen on my camera, and i have it on my head (gopro camera), so sometimes fishes or sealions are not in the good frame...:D

Mola Attack_0209.jpg

Mola_Mola_0214.jpgC'mon Mike G. You can get close to Mola Mola on scuba Here you are

Thanks for your headings! I found it one time by luck and look forward to going back.

Thanks for your headings! I found it one time by luck and look forward to going back.

you don't need to be lucky to find it, just a compas and to be patient :wink:
I can send you a message next time that I dive the barge, if you want to join me.
M

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom