Near Miss: Monastery 2/6/2011

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

g1138

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was at Monastery Beach today to TA for the Basic OW's second skin dive.
We had 2 instructors, 4 Divemasters in Training (myself included), 12 Rescue Students, and 17 Basic Students.

We arrived at Monastery around 8:15 and spent the day practicing rescue carries and skin skills in the surf zone and waters. The waves were low for Monastery but still enough to send you in a tumble, as I experienced for the first time.

We got everything done without a hitch and were dried and dressed, eating lunch and debriefing around 12:30.
The beach was occupied by the usual crowd, tourists and divers. Besided us, there were at least 2 other dive teams out on the beach by the time we were dried and dressed.

Half way through our debrief we noticed a team of 3 divers entering on south side; we were sitting at the halfway mark on the beach.
We stopped our debrief to watch, as we wanted our Basic Students to get an example of a bad entry.
The team entered during a set in the waves, fins in hand, and began kicking out fins STILL IN HAND.

For the sake of simplicity I'll call
Diver 1: Alpha
Diver 2: Beta
Diver 3: Kappa
Alpha made it out of the surf zone, Beta was halfway when Kappa got smashed by a wave and was sent sprawling up the incline. Immediately he was pounded by a few more waves. Alpha stayed beyond the surf zone while Beta crawled up to Kappa to assist.

We stayed in place and watched the pair get swamped some more until we saw Beta toss his weight belt and fins up the incline. (Both pieces of equipment were immediately engulfed and spit back out into the ocean.)
Immediately myself, our instructors, a few Rescue students and another DIT ran to assist (around 6 of us). The rest of our class was about to follow suit, but one of our DIT's stopped them from going, and instead sent a pair to retrieve our O2 and First Aid. (We didn't need 35 people going to assist 2 divers)

By the time our "rescue" party had arrived to the scene, Beta had abandoned his gear and was trying to get Kappa to crawl up the incline. They were still getting pounded by the waves and I could hear Kappa yelling for help, eyes closed, no mask, no fins.
One of our DIT's grabbed him and immediately shoved the reg back in the diver's mouth, then ran back as another wave came crashing over the pair of divers. Once the wave cleared 3 of us ran to the pair of divers, grabbing Kappa by his BC and literally dragged him out of the surf zone.

Kappa layed in the sand for a few solid minutes, eyes closed, breathing heavy from his reg. We eventually took off his BC and encouraged him to walk even further past the drift kelp line on the beach. He got up fine, but a little shaken

We ended up staying there and watching the team as Beta went to collect his gear and Alpha. A few other divers were on scene, some in street clothes, others swim suits, and another set up as a skin diver in case she needed to go in. I heard her mention to her friend that she probably wouldn't even be able to make the surf exit if she had to go in.

The remaining 2 divers came out minus 2 masks and 1 fin from their group of 3.
This time Alpha crawled out but Beta walked out, fins in hand.

We ended up putting Kappa on O2 as a precautionary measure and told him and his family to go to CHOMP to rule out secondary drowning.

Here's the kicker:
Alpha is the uncle or dad of Kappa
Beta is a friend or relative of the two.
Kappa is 15 years old.
Another relative was there, I assumed the mother (non-diver in street clothes)

Alpha, Kappa, and the "mother" were planning on flying to Seattle the very next day.
The reasoning was, because it was shallow short dive it'd be fine.

What I learned from this event was:
1) Don't ever enter/exit Monastery without being fully geared up (this INCLUDES FINS AND MASK)
2) Always, ALWAYS have your reg in your mouth until you're out of the surf zone
3) Commit to your exit and entry
4) If you don't respect the ocean, it won't hesitate to destroy you

5) Learn crowd control even during the act of a rescue (35 people going to assist 2 divers would have been such a cluster f***)
6) If going to a scene for a rescue, call out for O2 and First Aid Kits before you leave.

Having such a large tight knit group for a class, we were able to cover each other for parts 5 & 6

It should also be noted that the previous day a ranger had warned a team of divers to avoid launching their boat mid beach.

They did anyways and lost all their skin gear when the boat capsized.

One of our students found a single red Tan Delta Force Fin with stabilizers today. Lucky guy.

Explanation as to why our Basic OW went to Monastery
We belong to UC Santa Cruz. Our Basic OW consists of 10 weeks:
1 lecture and pool session a week
2 skin dives
4 checkout dives
maximum limit of 20 students
2 great instructors
Always an abundant amount of TA's

Most students who have been through the program start in Basic at UCSC and move up the ladder doing Adv, Rescue, DM and/or Scientific.

I'm not saying we're exempt from any other Basic Classes. But I will say that our group that day, is very tight knit, well trained, and fully capable of watching over each other.

We chose Monastery because we wanted to allow our Basic students to see the difference between a high energy and low energy beach, plus it's an amazing place to both skin dive and scuba dive.
As a precaution we brought out a donut float and 2 body boards for anyone to rest on or store their weight belt (15lbs for everyone)

That's all, feel free to voice your opinions.

Last edited:
This is great post! I am so grateful to PacificGal to explain me a while ago the issues of Monastery as well as show me the place after our dive at BW. For out of towner this surely is not the place to do night dive :)

2 skin dives
4 checkout dives
2 great instructors

Most students who have been through the program start in Basic at UCSC and move up the ladder doing Adv, Rescue, DM and/or Scientific.

I'm not saying we're exempt from any other Basic Classes. But I will say that our group that day, is very tight knit, well trained, and fully capable of watching over each other.

We chose Monastery because we wanted to allow our Basic students to see the difference between a high energy and low energy beach, plus it's an amazing place to both skin dive and scuba dive.
As a precaution we brought out a donut float and 2 body boards for anyone to rest on or store their weight belt (15lbs for everyone)

Meh. Okay...

I always walk into Monastery with my fins in my hand. 95% of the time, I exit the same way.

All the best, James

2 skin dives
4 checkout dives
2 great instructors

I do support a tour of Monastery for OW students... to show then what's dive-able and what isn't.

Here's my take on it.

People vary in experience and capabilities... I can see new divers (or even veteran divers) seeing your group and deciding: "Well they're going for it we can do it too" A bunch of 20 something fit athletic types can probably take more risks but then again the bravado of youth may lead some to take some risks that a middle aged diver would.

I won't dive Monastery unless it's totally flat. I think that diving it with any thing bigger than ankle slappers is tempting fate... and just because someone survives one day doesn't guarantee they will make it out the next time... but that's me everyone has his own risk tolerance and hopefully divers have a realistic grasp on what theirs is and don't tempt fate by thinking that surviving = success when it comes to risk taking.

YMMV

Well done on the rescue. It would have been a tragedy to lose another diver to Monastery.

I won't dive Monastery unless it's totally flat. I think that diving it with any thing bigger than ankle slappers is tempting fate... and just because someone survives one day doesn't guarantee they will make it out the next time... but that's me everyone has his own risk tolerance and hopefully divers have a realistic grasp on what theirs is and don't tempt fate by thinking that surviving = success when it comes to risk taking.YMMV

Agreed!!

I agree. I also enter and exit with fins in hand. However, i always take the time to look at the water condition, it is not a race for me to get in.

i read this site often, and i have finally decided to put in my to sense into a post. i think that telling students that entering the water with fins in hand and mask on your face will protect you is not helping. taking the time to educate this class you were helping with, why one could enter with fins in hand could be very beneficial. especially with new and clumsy students fins can be a hinderance when push comes to shove, and certainly when THIS beach is doing the shoving.

Meh. Okay...

I always walk into Monastery with my fins in my hand. 95% of the time, I exit the same way.

All the best, James

I'm pretty sure James and I are on the same level here as far as what's dive-able and not.

If it's too rough to walk in with your fins in your hand then it's too rough to dive it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom