Man-o-war... Fish?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shcubasteve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hey anyone with an aquarium, check out the Man-o-war fish I got yesterday... the picture is generic ffrom google images, but still, they are the COOLest fish ever! Bright irridescent blue and silver. Get 'em while the 'wars are around.

Added a 2nd pic of the butterfly-like pectoral fins.. too cool

Attachments

• 4526337180_e0300bcc59.jpg
    4526337180_e0300bcc59.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 172
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 211
what do they eat?

According to my Reef Fish ID software they eat plankton and sometimes also nibble on their host jelly or Man-o-war as they are immune to the stings.

According to my Reef Fish ID software they eat plankton and sometimes also nibble on their host jelly or Man-o-war as they are immune to the stings.

they sure as hell, don't belong in anyone's home aquarium,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

Adding to that...Fishbase lists it's diet as the manowar's tentacles and gonads, possibly other softbodied jellyfish and zooplankton. I agree with reefman, this fish is not for the home aquarium.

Nomeus gronovii, Man-of-war fish : fisheries

Shcubasteve, has it eaten anything you have offered so far?

So far Ive gotten it to eat only thawd mysis shrmp, though it has only been one or two pieces at a time. So far so good!

This is why I quit keeping Marine Aquariums. There are two many Aquarists and dealers out there that do zero research on species, wind up keeping specialized feeders and inadvertently killing them. It is a beautiful specimen but personally it looks better in the wild eating it's Man of War tentacles.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom