Egypt Update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crowley

Master Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I've just returned from a staff meeting at my dive centre and was told the following:

Regarding travel - most European countries, Russia and the US have issued a travel warning to Egypt. This means that travel insurance from these countries will be invalidated by the underwriters. It also means that tour operators are not legally allowed to sell holidays.

At the moment, the UK is still on "alert" for travel to Egypt, with a recommendation to avoid Cairo, Suez and Alexandria particularly as these are the biggest cities where the majority of protesters are congregating. Sadly for my centre we do not command a large percentage of the British market, but at least they are coming.

I am trying to contact DAN to find out what this means for diving insurance but I just keep getting an answerphone at the moment - DAN is not an insurance agent itself but is underwritten by separate companies around the world - which is why we have different organisations sharing the same name. I am of course insured by DAN and British, but many of my colleagues are not from the UK and therefore I need to know if our own insurance is not valid!

I spoke to the owner of my centre and asked if there is any way we can get local insurance for visitors. There are schemes in place, but they do not appear to exist in Sharm at the moment - but I've seen this before in other countries where insurance is required to dive - you can pay 20 bucks and get a week's worth of diving insurance.

The big centres in Sharm are still open for business, because we can afford it - but some smaller, but well known centres are completely closed. Given that I represent myself here I am unwilling to say in public who is open and who is not, just in case I provide incorrect information. If you have booked a trip and are concerned, please contact your dive prospective dive centre (who really should have contacted you already).

The political unrest itself has entered a period of stalemate whereby the protesters' single demand is for Mubarak to leave, and he will not. In the middle sits the army, comprised mostly of people who probably also want to see him leave, but are under his control as commander-in-chief. The "West" and Israel want him to stay in order to conduct an orderly transition because Mubarak is an important asset in their own political agendas but we have seen time and time again that external politics have very little to do with what is actually right for the people of the country involved - because they are self serving morons with no understanding of local culture or demographics.

On the other hand, reports suggest that the demonstrations are more populous than ever - and Friday after prayers might see the largest number of people out on the streets. Of course there is the potential it will turn bloody, but all of the major diving destinations remain quiet and free of protest. Sharm, Dahab, Hurghada, El Gouna, Marsa Alam - if you didn't have a TV you would never know what had happened, apart from wondering where all the people have gone. We wait and see.

Diving wise - there could be no better time to visit the Red Sea since the 90's. It's stunning out there and some of the best reefs on the planet are almost empty. You're guaranteed to be on a boat in a small group. The big centres are actually sharing boats at the moment - we all know each other well, and so if one centre has a boat to Ras Mohamed, we invite other companies to share - and our divers might take another company's boat to Tiran. It's actually pretty cool for both us and the guests. I shared a boat with an instructor (absolutely stunningly gorgeous young lady) from a different dive centre and all day there was a very friendly banter between both us and the guests about who does what better, who makes the best food, the best dive briefings and so on (I won that competition, by the way, but I would have dived with her in a heartbeat given the chance! :cool2:)

I have no idea what's going to happen - we need people to come here and prove that everything's okay and then the officials will relax their travel bans - and in fact the head honchos of several tour operators are being wined and dined in Sharm to prove that there are no problems. The uprising could peter out into nothing and we end up with the same old corrupt regime as before (just with a different name) or it could descend into civil war.

The staff - both Egyptian and foreign - are leaving, or have been told to leave. We are currently operating with a skeleton crew but nobody can afford to stay anywhere unemployed, and with all the faffing about trying to get work permits and so on, visitors may find that when they are able to return, their choices are rather limited.

I'm not here to sell anything, I have no political agenda other than happy lives for every single person in the world, and maybe other countries need to start throwing a few stones at their own rulers, because a lot of what I hear from this, that and the other government is so laughably uninformed, unintelligent and ridiculously self serving that it would be farcical if so may people hadn't died already.

Me - I'm going to enjoy the free diving I am entitled to as long as I can afford it - and everybody who got their holidays canceled is missing something special here. It's quite amazing how a small number of people - world leaders - who would all comfortably fit on a London bus with room to spare, can affect the lives of 80 million residents of their own Country, whilst counting the number of zeros in their bank account.

A BBC report suggested the president of Egypt is worth 70 BILLION US dollars, and has accumulated a personal liquid wealth of 17 BILLION dollars - enough to write a cheque that will wipe out the debt of three or four whole countries - including their own - and yet the average wage of an Egyptian national is something like 100 bucks per month.

Okay I got political - malesh.

For those of you planning to visit the Red Sea - ask careful questions of the powers that be. I'm gonna stick around and see what happens.

All good folks,

C.

Thanks for the update Crowley, enjoy the quiet reefs while it lasts.

If I could jump on a flight from Dubai direct to Sharm for the weekend I would be there in a heartbeat. Instead I am heading to Aqaba next week as I have a free flight to Amman. From what I understand it is very quiet there also.

Thanks for all the information about Egypt Crowley.

Its difficult to get any information at all about the situation in Egypt.
We only hear about the riots in Cairo.

I was supposed to be in Sharm this week, but all tour operators in Norway have cancelled all their trips, at least until May 1.
Would have loved to be down there now.

Looks like all tour operators in Scandinavia have cancelled until May 1.

So now im off to Aqaba instead.

mortenscuba

In typical Crowley fashion, you continue to provide excellent information re whats going on in Sharm. Thanks for that!

So my group of 8 have done absolutely everything we can to make Sharm happen from 27/2 - 5/3, but unfortunately the only flights from Dubai to Sharm have a transfer in Cairo, which our group has deemed a deal-breaker since the chance of long delays and missed connections are a chance we're not willing to take. Really sucks as we've been planning this partial diving honeymoon with a group of close friends for a long time now, but thats the way things go.

On the off chance that someone knows of a flight from Dubai to Sharm that doesn't transfer through Cairo (any other transfer is fine), we'd be very greatful for your recommendation. Otherwise, Red Sea diving will have to wait for another time for us.

All the best,
PC

My centre has had a party of Norwegians and another of Swedes redirected to Aqaba - we have another centre there (wonder if you're the same group!)

It sucks because we get a lot of Scandinavian business over the winter and the season for you guys tends to end in April when the sun starts to peek over the horizon again - so maybe next November!

Some people are almost stranded here now, because their countries have stopped flying, and the only way out is a circuitous route through half of Europe, or they can't afford the extortionate (but understandable, given the circumstances) air fares out of here. Hindsight has a wonderful clarity to it when you are left with no alternatives!

I think I might start a hippy diving commune somewhere in Ras Mohamed. There's about a million tanks standing around unused and I have free access to South Sinai. Woop! :D

C.

In typical Crowley fashion, you continue to provide excellent information re whats going on in Sharm. Thanks for that!

So my group of 8 have done absolutely everything we can to make Sharm happen from 27/2 - 5/3, but unfortunately the only flights from Dubai to Sharm have a transfer in Cairo, which our group has deemed a deal-breaker since the chance of long delays and missed connections are a chance we're not willing to take. Really sucks as we've been planning this partial diving honeymoon with a group of close friends for a long time now, but thats the way things go.

On the off chance that someone knows of a flight from Dubai to Sharm that doesn't transfer through Cairo (any other transfer is fine), we'd be very greatful for your recommendation. Otherwise, Red Sea diving will have to wait for another time for us.

All the best,
PC

In typical Crowley fashion, I have also managed to completely mis-time my posts however - thank you as always PC for the post - I like to write and as I have said before, I have nothing else to do. I didn't think it would get any worse than the shark attacks - but this! Meh!

Anyhoo - I completely understand if the group doesn't want to fly but there are alternatives. Flying to the UK then taking a cheap charter flight is an option; operators still flying to Sharm are British Airways (expensive), Thomas Cook, Thompson and Jet2.

Another option is taking a bus or taxi from Cairo - the bus costs about 10 USD and takes 7 hours under normal circumstances but maybe longer at the moment. The going rate for a taxi to Sharm from Cairo is about 600 Egyptian Pounds - about $100 USD but given that nobody has any work, I bet you could talk that down. Neither option is especially comfortable but can be done.

Would love to have you guys here, even if you didn't dive with me - just so you can tell the world how great it is and how safe it is, so if you make it, I will be here. If you don't, I will understand.

Best wishes,

C.

Crowley, are any of the German, Austrian or Dutch charters still flying. Niki, Transavia, Condor...

Hey Crowley, hang on in there.

I'm gutted I can't get back to the Red Sea earlier. But I have friends (12) coming out at the end of Feb and they're in no way dissuaded.

The Red Sea is too beautiful to miss (and to lucrative to leave behind). People will be back and soon.

Hope to sup a can of Sakara with you sometime soon.

I miss the red sea pretty much every day.

J

Crowley, are any of the German, Austrian or Dutch charters still flying. Niki, Transavia, Condor...

I know Condor will cease flights on the 14th, as will Air Berlin. The others I don't know about, but I strongly doubt it.

Thanks for the moral support InTheDrink!

Cheers

C.

Hi Crowley, thanks for that...

I'm on my IDC in April (Emperor...) and I'm staying on a week to dive for fun after that. I'm trying to encourage my pals to come out for that week... would you mind if I quote you? Specifically

"Diving wise - there could be no better time to visit the Red Sea since the 90's. It's stunning out there and some of the best reefs on the planet are almost empty."

We've a few takers already and a few more possibly if the news from Egypt stays reasonable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom