Fin Recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Domsz06

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all divers!!

New here and wanted to ask peoples opinions.

I lost my right leg in an motorcycle accidnet 3 years ago. Since then I have still been able to use my scuba cert and went 4 times last year, and snorkled well over a dozen times. Well I have decided that I want to buy some fins as I'm just not happy always renting what ever is out there, or using what is on the boat.

What I have found out is that since my kicking is slightly different now with the one leg that I do not like the fins with the buckle, and prefer and find easier to use the full foot fins.

My question is this, I also love to snorkle, and "freedive" I can regularly hit 40 feet with just the average crap fin, and want to get something that is kind of the best of both worlds. The longer "meter" fins look like they would be awesome to use when I'm just snorkleing or free diving with friends, but how do they work with a tank on your back?

Does anyone have any recomendations, either from experience or just past knowledge?

went ahead and attached 2 pics of my fun under water experience in the BVI's.

Thanks all in advance!! :wink:

c2ba0f5e.jpg

8d9c35dc.jpg

842ced45.jpg

Hello all divers!!

New here and wanted to ask peoples opinions.

I lost my right leg in an motorcycle accidnet 3 years ago. Since then I have still been able to use my scuba cert and went 4 times last year, and snorkled well over a dozen times. Well I have decided that I want to buy some fins as I'm just not happy always renting what ever is out there, or using what is on the boat.

What I have found out is that since my kicking is slightly different now with the one leg that I do not like the fins with the buckle, and prefer and find easier to use the full foot fins.

My question is this, I also love to snorkle, and "freedive" I can regularly hit 40 feet with just the average crap fin, and want to get something that is kind of the best of both worlds. The longer "meter" fins look like they would be awesome to use when I'm just snorkleing or free diving with friends, but how do they work with a tank on your back?

Does anyone have any recomendations, either from experience or just past knowledge?

went ahead and attached 2 pics of my fun under water experience in the BVI's.

Thanks all in advance!! :wink:

Freediving fins are definately the way to go for you.
I use them both for freediving and for scuba ( including single tank diving and even dry suit dives with double tanks on---with drysuit I had to get a pair of open heel freedive fins).

Visit New Dive R fins-product photos - Spearboard Spearfishing Community
and Dive R blades, diverR FINS, ray powell blades, - for a look at what I consider to be the best option for you....the efficiency and power of these fins could easily allow you to outswim most two legged divers with the normal nonsense fins pushed by the industry. For diving doubles with a drysuit, I use the stiffest blade they make ( not really stiff feeling at all--this is just relative)...For the drysuit, and open heel became a necessity, so I use the Riffe open heel foot pockets with them.
You should email the manufacturer directly and see if you can buy a single full foot fin. They are a small enough company that they may well decide to work with you on this.
These fins are exponentially better than Cressis or Omers or Mares or the other mass produced brands.

thanks again for the info. They are going to make me a custom set up, a bit wider as well and two stiffness' so I can have "two useable" fins.

I've built a Several dive legs over the years now. Two for a above the knee amputees and three-ish for below the knee. The effectiveness of the prosthesis goes down the shorter the residual limb. For a short above the knee amputee the free dive fins are really the way to go.

thanks again for the info. They are going to make me a custom set up, a bit wider as well and two stiffness' so I can have "two useable" fins.
They are nothing like normal fin companies...these fins are fantastic. I look forward to hearing how well this solutioin works for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom