Lovers Point dive report 2/6/11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KRL1973

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Had a memorable dive at Lover's #1 on Sunday afternoon. It was fantastic clear warm weather topside. The swell made the #3 entry I originally planned a bit too risky for me so did #1 that was easy as always. Had about 20ft viz and some surge but could still thoroughly enjoy to the rock protrusions blanketed with strawberry anemones and the variety of rockfish swirling above and among nooks and crannies and the occasional ling cod. Came across an odd little crab that was totally unfamiliar to me that I have since detemined was an umbrella crab, Cryptolithodes sitchensis. Wasn't carrying a camera but can readily google pic's of these guys. The one I saw was about 2-3 inches long and plain brownish colored. The are not very conspicuous so I wonder if they are in fact common and I simply haven't noticed them previously. Can anyone else comment on how frequently these are observed?

What was most memorable however was on my return feeling quite pleased with the dive and not expecting anything else eventful, I came across a harbor seal resting on the bottom with it's eyes closed. It 'woke up' as I exhaled and it proceeded to accompany me the rest of the way back constantly circling and sniffing at my fins. At least 4 times I thought it had moved on but later I glanced behind me to find it had snuck up behind me again and was right there at my fins. I love seal encounters :D

Ken L

... Came across an odd little crab that was totally unfamiliar to me that I have since detemined was an umbrella crab, Cryptolithodes sitchensis. ... The are not very conspicuous so I wonder if they are in fact common and I simply haven't noticed them previously. Can anyone else comment on how frequently these are observed? ...

Hi Ken!

Yeah, I like butterfly and umbrella crabs too. The first time I saw one I thought "Wow, what's that???" They're not uncommon, I don't see them at every dive, but often enough.

Sounds like you had a great dive! And with a playful seal. Cool!

Back
Top Bottom