Need Wilkes-Barre advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We dive the Wilkes frequently and recommend Florida Straits as our operator. The owner, Chris Norwood, is knowledgeable and does a great job for us.

Downside is that Chris has a small boat, so we have also chartered Sub Tropic a few times, although their boat tends to be expensive and slow. But in rougher seas there are limited options!

Dive Safely!

I probably run more charters to the deep wrecks of Key West more than anyone does. If you have a small group, Chris Norwood indeed has a fine small boat to dive from. Other options for a small boat include Steve Moore from Keys Mobile Diving with his 26 foot Glacier Bay is a little bigger choice. Subtropic is going through some pains right now with the loss of their tech staff, but if you don't need gas fills or instruction, they indeed have a bigger boat. For the most expensive option, I will take you there. I blend gas on the boat, have all of your rental doubles, sidebars, rebreather sorb, rental 2 and 3 liter cylinders, and everything else you need to do your dive. One problem with the Spree is it's large size. As big as it is, we very rarely are able to anchor to the Wilkes, although we have tied in a few times. We always shoot an up/down line for reference, but recovering your scooters can be an issue live boat. If you don't have scooters, that's OK, I rent those too.

If you get the opportunity to dive off the Spree I assure you that you won't be disappointed, Frank & Melanie run a first class operation!

Back
Top Bottom