Best Underwater Town? Or other unique dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ryan123

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi everyone! I've read that there are a number of underwater towns in Northern California (and California as a whole), but that the running theme is that the towns were bulldozed first so there isn't much left but cement slabs and piles of rubble. Any advice as to any that are actually still-standing with buildings and a 'town' appearance? Maximum depth would be about 100 feet, preferably less. This can include all of California if need be, as we'll be traveling and diving the West coast from southern California up through B.C. The timing of year would be early May or so.

On a related note, if no luck with an underwater town, can anyone offer advice to a similar 'unique' dives in (Northern but not necessarily) California... not looking for artificial reefs and standard fishlife for a casual afternoon dive, or the more popular kelp beds and Channel Island activities (which we'll be doing as well), but rather something that is unique and can take sizable effort and logistical planning as long as the reward is significant and very interesting.

Thank you for the local insights, it is appreciated! I hope you guys are having a lovely warm day in California while here in Toronto we have -8 fahrenheit winter winds! ; )

Cheers, Ryan.

Hello Ryan,

Below is a link for some information on a town in Lake Berryessa. I've dove Lake Berryessa several times and can tell you the viz will be about 0, so be careful if you run into an old barbed wire fence or something. From the Oak Shores picnic area, there is an old road that goes out into the lake but ends (depending on the time of year at about 25 ffw). Wish I could help you on exactly were the town of Monticello is. Good luck in your travels. I would recommend spending more time diving in Monterey (there should be some nice kelp forests by May) or along the North coast in Sonoma and Mendocino counties from Fort Ross on up. Our 50 degree f water should feel tropical to you. :)

Lake Berryessa information
DRYING LAKE YIELDS A CALIFORNIA TOWN - NYTimes.com

I have run a sidescan sonar over the town of Monticello and there is nothing there worth diving, not to mention it is around 150' deep when the lake is full. The last/only time I dove Berryessa, the vis was so bad, is was pitch black 4 feet below the surface and we left.

Hi everyone! I've read that there are a number of underwater towns in Northern California (and California as a whole), but that the running theme is that the towns were bulldozed first so there isn't much left but cement slabs and piles of rubble. Any advice as to any that are actually still-standing with buildings and a 'town' appearance? Maximum depth would be about 100 feet, preferably less. This can include all of California if need be, as we'll be traveling and diving the West coast from southern California up through B.C. The timing of year would be early May or so.

--SNIP--
Cheers, Ryan.

Whiskeytown lake near Redding I've heard has a town to look at. I've also heard tho that it's pretty deep (>200 ft or so, or roughly 50m).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom