Maldives mid April

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diggerled

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have an opportunity to dive from one of the higher end liveaboards in Maldives. The group trip is in mid April.

In my mind, the main point of travelling 18k miles to Maldives would be to see large pelagic species in WARM water. Is April a good month for whale sharks (I have never seen one) and hammerheads (which I have seen only one)? Any reason to disqualify April?

I typically enjoy muck diving and finding the tiniest of critters. This trip would be to see the big stuff. It may be the only chance I have to dive there with friends.

Hi D,

If you are not unlucky it is possible to see the big stuff as normally the monsoon change will not start before the end of April. But may have one or two rough days halfway April already.
Note that most high class liveaboards do only 1 week trips so there is no slack in the schedule to stay some more dives if you are not lucky spotting whalesharks or hammerheads in the first go.
Normal places to spot Hammerheads: Rashdoo or Felidhoo Atoll ; Whalesharks: South Ari.

Regards,
Bas

Back
Top Bottom