Recommendations for local Hydrostatic testing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rudebob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have 4 tanks that need hydro. Any recommendations for best price and service time?

Thanks,

'bob

If you're ever in Tucson, there's a place on 4th that will turn them around in a week and only charges about $20 per cylinder.

Reactions: Jax
Most do that is why it costs so much to have the shops take care of it. On the other hand Thunderbird doesn't add a VIS sticker since that is not a DOT requirement so you'll still need a VIS where the LDS will apply a VIS sticker after a cylinder passes Hydro.
If you are a VIS inspector using Thunderbird can save you some cash otherwise letting the LDS handle it gets the VIS with the Hydro. Offically a cylinder does not need a VIS in the first year of a Hydrostatic test but you may have problems with getting fills at a LDS without the sticker.

Thanks for responses. I guess I should of been a little more specific in my original post. I was hoping to find somewhere in the North part of the valley. I know of Thunderbird but I am going to need visual inspection in a few months so I figure I mights well get it all done at once (with an airfill included). The logistics of multiple trips for hydro and viz was what I hoping to avoid (+ there is no savings). However, the one shop I checked out (whom shall remain nameless) sends them out and said it could be more than a week to get them back.

Thanks,

'bob

I have used canyon fire extinguishers, their hydro guy also dose VIP's and will put a PSI VIP sticker on it, but you will have to get your air fill elsewhere they are relatively quick turnaround

An LDS (a good one anyway) also changes out the burst disk in the valve and replaces the orings. Since you have multiple tanks most shops will send them out right away. Tbird takes what it takes whether you take the tanks in or the LDS takes them. Unless you're set up to replace all the "wear" parts and can deal with the vis yourself you will probably be ahead to just hand em off to a shop and pick them up when they're done.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom