Rescued a Turtle Today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MB

Obi-MB-Kenobi
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Diving off Deerfield & Boca this morning and in between shivers :penguin:we came across an old turtle sitting on the bottom. It was beneath a net of monofilament that was firmly held in place with a pair of barbed hooks embedded in the reef. The turtle was straining against the line which was rubbing deeply into its neck and fins. I approached, slowly because the turtle was a little boxed in, and I was not crazy about the thought of losing my hand to that nice beak... But a few snips here and there and we created a path for the turtle to get out from under the line without (turtle or me) getting wrapped up in it, or cutting in to its skin.

The old turtle hung around a bit, watched us as we watched it :daydreaming:and eventually wandered off and up for a breath of air. I'm guessing we earned a little Karma today. Lord knows we could all use it. If you see an old turtle smiling in the next few days, say "Hey"!

Well done!

Since the turtle can't say it, I will. Thank You.

MB:
.... and up for a breath of air.

Very Very nice save!!!

Good job !!!!

That is what I call playing it forward.

Do something good for somebody or something without expecting anything in return.

I know when I do something like that , I feel better for it.
Who know, it could be good for your heart to feel good.

Thanks, Jim Breslin

Nice save MB...as an aside, did you happen to pick up the remaining line and put it in your pocket to bring to the surface? I'm guessing not, but I doubt I would have thought of it in the moment either; nice save on the turtle for sure!

Very good MB.

Sweet! Good on ya.

Good job, MB! Thanks for saving the turtle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom