Help from Key West?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Linedog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey all, I live in Washington state, just about as far from you as I can be. I did my very first dive out of Key West 10 years ago, it was a intro dive, we took off on a boat loaded with divers doing their AOW. The first dive was 40 to 50 feet my wife and I stuck with our divemaster, don't know what the others did. The second was a wreck, I seem to remember it was just a few feet out of the water, my wife says I am wrong but she's not sure. Heres where I need help, I'm trying to find out what the wreck was. OK so ya I know we went too deep for an intro and what not, my wife had done a half a dozen intros before this and I was very comfortable in the water. BTW she got tired of doing intros when we went on vacation so she finally got certified in Jamaica last year! So I now have a live in dive buddy, now if I could just get her into a drysuit and in the cold water of Puget Sound. . . .
Thanks Chris.

I'm down with your wife. I can't think of any wrecks within 1/2 day day boat distance from Key West that actually stick out of the water. Joe's tug was and is very popular, and it's about 50 feet deep. Cayman Salvage Master is a little deeper. Joe's Tug is very broken up, Cayman Salvor is in much better shape. The only wrecks I can think of that actually stick up are the Avanti in Dry Tortugas and the navy target in Marquesas, both more than a day trip ride away.

Dang you mean she's right, again? Thanks I'll look up those wrecks and see if they jog my memory.

Of course she is right. That's rule one. If you ever thought she was wrong, re-read rule one again.

After looking at both sites, we agree that she was right, Joes tug it was. Thanks Wookie.

Cayman Salvage Master/Salvor/ Salvager is approximately 90 feet at the sand. Joe's Tug lies at approximately 60 feet.

If you want a good wreck thats partially out of the water its in the panhandle of florida I believe but check out the uss massachusets. :)

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom