2/13 Big Sur Banks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rhlee

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The calm weather stayed just long enough to allow the BAUE tech charter on Sunday to sneak down to Big Sur banks to get in a dive at a site called SUR19. We found very little current and murky viz on above 100', but below 100' viz opened up nicely to about 50' with noticeable surge. We spent 45 minutes circling the two little pinnacles marvelling at the amazing hydrocoral and playing with the schools of blue rockfish.

Some pics below, but the rest can be found here.

DSC_1936.jpg

DSC_1919.jpg

DSC_1959.jpg

As hitting SUR19 in February wasn't enough, we put in a second dive at a very surgey Lobos Rocks.

Dive 3 was into a plate of tacos and chips at La Tortuga :D

What a way to start off the dive year!

Rob,

I have never seen so many hydro's in that colony formation from previous pics... Thanks for sharing... What were the temps down at that depth? Do you think the surge might be one of the factors for such positive growth? I use to culture SPS corals in my reef tanks and required alternating currents for successful propagation... I'd like some of your feedback, if possible?

Thanks,

MG

Ken,

I have read and been told by many that hydrocoral of this mass, colonize in deeper waters. I'm trying to get a fix on the importance of surge/current at this depth. Rob made a hint about that it was surgey at this depth.

Will await his response to see if he knows more about this site?

MG

Hi Mike,

I don't remember the water temp, but I would imagine it was typical (~50-52F). It was pretty surgey on Sunday, but I have also been there on calm days, and also days with a pretty stiff current. The whole area (several square miles) sits on a plateau that comes up to about 200' (with smaller pinnacles coming up shallower') from much deeper water (400'+), all about 4-5 miles offshore. I think that is a large part of the extraordinary growth you can find there, as it becomes an oasis of sorts in otherwise open-ocean.

thanks,
-Rob

Rob,

I have never seen so many hydro's in that colony formation from previous pics... Thanks for sharing... What were the temps down at that depth? Do you think the surge might be one of the factors for such positive growth? I use to culture SPS corals in my reef tanks and required alternating currents for successful propagation... I'd like some of your feedback, if possible?

Thanks,

MG

Dang you ROB! Remember what I told you about eventually wanting to go Tech 1...because of your photos?

Dang you ROB! Remember what I told you about eventually wanting to go Tech 1...because of your photos?

:D

Clinton's photographs motivated me to take T1. I think this is the way it should be; training exists to support the fun diving :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom