Out Of Air -- Simply Unacceptable!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CaliforniaDivingNews

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
by Ken Kurtis

Let's start with this: Running out of air is the single stupidest thing that a diver can do. It's eminently preventable and new research indicates that it might drastically increase your chances of becoming a fatality statistic.

A recent D.A.N. study looked at 947 fatalities over a 10-year period. In roughly half of those cases, the initial trigger--the problem that started everything on a downward spiral--was identified. In 41% of those instances, out-of-air was the culprit.

And let's debunk a myth right now ... Read More

upload_0000Ns.jpg

Ken, I agree... in these days of SPGs it is unacceptable for a diver to lose track of their remaining gas supply. Of course as you know, back in the days of no SPGs and J-valves, it was more excusable.

The only time I've found myself OOA unintentionally since I started using an SPG was when my dip tube in the tank valve clogged. My gas supply went from 2800 psi to zero in a few gulps.

Let's start with this: Running out of air accidentally is the single stupidest thing that a diver can do. It's eminently preventable and new research indicates that it might drastically increase your chances of becoming a fatality statistic.

I'd suggest a small change. I've deliberately run myself out of air before for both good reasons and bad. It is never ideal, but sometimes it can be a decision you need to take. And I think some PADI manual or other actually recommends it in certain circumstances.

I think some PADI manual or other actually recommends it in certain circumstances.

Really? :popcorn:

(there's already a thread about this article BTW)

Having run out of gas from a blown tank o-ring, which took me from 1/2 gas to empty in about 30 seconds, I am surprised to find myself stupid.

All the best, James

Really? :popcorn:

(there's already a thread about this article BTW)

I saw that other article. I'll recommend a merge.

I am pretty sure one of the PADI manuals says at some point: if you computer dies, just go to 15 feet and breathe your tank dry. I'll see if I can dig out a more exact reference.

PS. Not ragging on Ken, whom I like and greatly respect - but just saying that sometimes you have to look beyond the simple statement.

The only times I have deliberately run myself OOA was when I was in shallow water and wanted to continue videoing an unusual critter or behavior.

Having run out of gas from a blown tank o-ring, which took me from 1/2 gas to empty in about 30 seconds, I am surprised to find myself stupid.
All the best, James

The statistics that spurred the comment is based on divers who run low/out of air, not due to mechanical or equipment failure.

I ran out of air during the safety stop on my first OWD which I think was stupid of me even if I was a novice. Nothing should be grasped more quickly than the need to monitor my own tank pressure. The instructor shared air with me for the last minute of the stop.

I have a different instructor now.:wink:

I ran out of air during the safety stop on my first OWD which I think was stupid of me even if I was a novice. Nothing should be grasped more quickly than the need to monitor my own tank pressure. The instructor shared air with me for the last minute of the stop.

I have a different instructor now.:wink:

I think what happens is a false sense of security develops because I have a buddy or instructor or dive master who will risk every thing to save me - NOT! I just took rescue and it was stressed over and over do not put yourself at risk to save/retrieve a diver because then you have two divers requiring rescue.

I have always heard that an OOA diver will grab your regulator. I have yet to have any one tell me this happened to them. I have heard that OOA divers panic and hit the elevator button, aka BCD inflater thus risking DCI or worse embolism.

Calicant got right that I am responsible to monitor my own tank pressure, but I can also remind my buddy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom