Nightmare on Dive Shop Street

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jaardappel

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I have read quite a few stories so far about LDS vs. Online buying and the warranty/service by-in with the LDS, so I think I have a good story share.

I am currently in a dive class that lasts 6-8 weeks and is taught by a group of "we won't certify you unless you are 100% safe and you prove-it" instructors. So I feel pretty safe that I won't be left without basic skills when I graduate.

Meanwhile, I have purchased a Zeagle Escape, with Zeagle regulators, an Aeris computer, a Dacor ECO 5/4/3 suit, Apollo bio-fins, and a smattering of other equipment online. The only thing without a warranty that I bought was the Zeagle Escape BC, but I purchased a store-only (from Unrealfind.com) warranty for a couple of years.

In total, I've spent nearly $1500 on gear that I am sure I'll put to use in the near-term. There are two local dive shops where I currently live (I'm not in NY yet) and both have similar equipment which would cost me over $2100 plus tax. Now, being the smart person, I realize that LDS has personnel to pay...insurance to dole-out...service onsite...most warranties to guarantee etc. BUT, you can't beat price. I move around enough (1x per 1.5 yrs on average), so I intend on getting my gear serviced at whatever local dive shop I go to and not by mailing my stuff back to the seller for "local" servicing by the original dealer. In my case, that the cost outwieghs the benefit of what the LDS can provide me should I have bought it from them.

So here's my vignette--I took my BC and regs to one of the local shops and after "sending it out for service." Yesterday I went in to pick it up. He and I talked for a bit, and as he is discovering that I bought most of my stuff online, his attitude towards me turns really icy. Of course I explained that I got a great deal, but then he puts an "online buyer warranty" card from Aqua Lung in my face and says, "you need to be wary of buying SCUBA gear online." I replied, "I half-agree with you (props to the LDS for service/warranty) and I half-don't." Before I could explain, he scoffs, walks off to get his phone and says, "you're not disagreeing with me, your disagreeing with every dive manufacturer."

On top of all this, the guy wouldn't annotate the dates and service (initial setup and testing of regulators) performed on my equipment. "I didn't test it, my tech did and he's at another shop 100 miles away" he says. I say, "can you at least descibe in my user-manuals (back-page...the "services performed" section) what your tech did?" "That's not my job" he replies. "So if a new diver buys stuff from you and has it put together, you don't annotate what you do to check out his gear?" "Yes, I usually do it but it'll cost you extra" he remarks. "But I paid you $60.00 to put together and test out my gear, can't you annotate what service was performed so I can track the maintenance on my equipment?" "No. You didn't buy it from me and I don't have time right now (he was chatting in a chair with a local when I walked in...really tight for time I'd say" he argues.

Okay. I get it. You are mad that I didn't buy my gear from an LDS, and more specifically you. I even asked him if I could pay him extra to function test my gear and he refused. His attitude was so bad and haughty (he ignores you when you walk in until you say "hello, how are you?" and then follows your comment with "excuse me?"), that although I dropped $16.00 for a new snorkel for class (a non-dry), and $40.00 for soft weights, he treated me like the bastard step-child he never had. Nearly everything I said he rolled his eyes, did the "oh young man (I'm 30 but look about 20 with a ballcap on)" look and generally told me with his body language that he wanted me out of his shop.

I thought about making some smart-ass remarks but my military training kicked in and I decided to be the bigger person and just smile quietly. Needless to say, the shop with whom I'm taking my course with is completely the opposite in attitudes than this one. I've gotten three others into the dive course with the "good shop", and three other people intend to dive with us on our final dive.

My point in sharing this story is to say this: Like others who have written in this board, I've just had my bad experience, but it is limited to one dive shop. I won't turn against the LDS's as I haven't seen poor attitudes all around. For goodness sake though, if you own a dive shop, have a good attitude...after all, you are selling gear to newbies, experienced and pros who need your support to continue shopping there. If people find good deals on the web, great. Maybe a selling point would be spectacular service, lowering the price a bit, word of mouth value and not acting like a jerk.

I intend to tell my co-workers not to go to that dive shop ever again. Please send me your thoughts and maybe I'll tell you the name of the dive shop if I feel like a little vindication is needed.

What dive shop is this?? I'm in NY so I don't ever want to visit them!!

he'll probably be out of business real soon. The Internet is a reality that every business, not only LDS's, has to face.
:snorkel:ScubaRon

The dive shop's not in NY. I move to Fort Drum, NY in 2 months so I've listed my location as northern NY.

The shop? Stay away from Diver's Den in Dothan, Alabama if you don't need the attitude.

Sea Divers (South East Alabama Divers) in Ozark, AL is the complete opposite and the guru of the shop, George Perez is a wealth of knowledge with a great attitude to boot. They don't care if you buy stuff online and encourage you to buy from them whenever possible. Good salespeople and an organized and well-run shop.

Hope that satisfies the urge to know.

PS, I'm not attacking LDSs, so y'all can reply with all sorts of hate-mail if you like.

You took your stuff in to check this place out right? And learning the lesson you'll not take your business there? Just so I understand, I think that's the best policy in evaluating dive shops when I move. Take in a reg for service, or go in and buy some weights, straps, bs margin items just to get a feel for the place. When I moved out to Seattle a crappy-little attitude having man who runs a dive shop "pot tested" my depth guage with my reg service for 149.00 only to have it read 50 fsw while my buddies read 104.

FWIW, hold onto the receipt, should you need warranty service the receipt for services should cover you.

Seatac,

Great advice there. BTW, I lived in Puyallup nearly all my life. Enjoy the PacNW. Great place to be. A buddy of mine says that there are great vertical walls there and octopi about.

V/R

John

Customer service at it's worst.....

I see you are moving up to Fort Drumm....where you will be just 20 miles away from some great diving in the St. Lawrence River and Lake Ontario. I took a dive class up there this summer and the conditions are great.

I don't know much about dive shops in the Watertown, NY area, but if you are at all interested in DIR or GUE training, you are in luck -- there are 2 GUE instructors in the immediate vicinity. PM me if you are interested in more details. I've been in classes with both of them -- excellent instructors.

Well done jaardappel!!!

If it was any other business they would probably get hauled over the coals - it's basically a price fixing cartel a number of (non diving retailers) have been fined in the UK for that sort of thing...

It the end of the day it all works out 'cause if you had spent $2000 with the LDS rather than $1000 online then you would have had the extra $1000 to spend on dive courses with the LDS, so I reckon it all works out...

Seems that some of these Hitler-esque LDS owners need to calm down a bit....

Washy once bubbled...
Well done jaardappel!!!

It the end of the day it all works out 'cause if you had spent $2000 with the LDS rather than $1000 online then you would have had the extra $1000 to spend on dive courses with the LDS, so I reckon it all works out...

Seems that some of these Hitler-esque LDS owners need to calm down a bit....

Personally Washy, I thing the "Hitler-esque" comment is a bit on the demeaning side. Yes, there are some overly rude dive shop operators in business. Just like overly rude car salesmen, lawyers, preachers, electricans, teachers, etc. , I think you get my point.

Jaardappel did the right thing by leaving and vowing not to go back. Most of us that work and own LDS's are just trying to make a living or a little extra diving money. I don't know many shop owners that do embrace the internet but most of the ones I know tolerate it out of neccessiaty. If you were to bring me you internet gear, I'll be happy to assemble it, service it, test it or even adjust it, but be prepared to pay for that service. Don't expect me to do it for free. Will I try to rip you off, no. Will I cut you breaks on prices anything else in my store? Probably not. After all, I wouldn't want to harm you relationship with your ISP dive shop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom