The wreck of the coaster "Rebel"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cartenman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi,

Im looking for information, pictures and video of the coaster "Rebel"

We owned this boat when it was sailing in Norway under the name "Cornelis" until we sold it in the early eighties. I was 6 years old when she was sold to panama, and i still got some fine childhood memories to this boat.
I have always wondered how it went with her. and I have tried to find information about her some years ago, but was not able to find anything. But then one day for a couple of weeks ago I found a "thread" to follow, and now i have ended up here in the scubaboard in a hope to get more information.
So if anyone have any information, pictures and video of her floating or on the bottom i am very interested to hear from you.

She was sunk 25 years ago off Pompano Beach.

Shipwrecks in the Local Area

REBEL.jpg

Thank you for your reply.

My research have lead me to most of these pages, but unfortunately the pictures on the pages are very low-res.
I know there has been taking pictures of her on board of the interior and the exterior before she was sunk. Hopefully someone out there have some of these pictures that they are willing to share with me? Have been writing to the company that sank her, but unfortunately have got no answer from them.

Last edited:
Seems like pretty good resolution image, to me! :coffee:

The wreck of the Rebel is a fantastic dive- one of my favorites off Broward Co. I've always seen a ton of fish and coral.

Here's another website with some info:
http://www.divespots.com/scuba/view.divespot?spotID=100
This Dutch freighter was built in 1947 and named Cornelis. Her name changed several times beginning with when she was sold in 1981 and renamed Island Transported. She was later named St. Andrea but was confiscated for drug smuggling. At a federal auction, she was purchased by an environmentalist attorney who gave her over to the Broward County reef program. She was renamed Rebel after the buyer's dog and sunk to create an artificial reef in 1985.

Today, this 150-foot freighter sits intact and upright in 110 feet of water with her bow pointing north. Her deck is located 80 feet down and her prop is in place. Divers will find that she is easily penetrated. She houses a variety of sea life and is a great dive for the curious or exploratory diver.

There are 3 underwater pics there.

Ahh, Thank you for that link. Nice pictures of her under water. Its a bit strange to see her that way. The nature has not been nice to her.

Thank you again. Will post some pictures of her if it is interesting?, when she was operational in Norway.
Need 5 posts first :)

Planning on visit Fort Lauderdale this and have a last glimpse of her. Any suggestions on a good diveclub, centre etc?

Keep up with information and pictures :).

Last edited:
cartrenman: that will be interesting to dive a wreck that you knew so well before it was sunk as an artificial reef. The condition of the wreck is pretty typical with sea life now clinging to it. I've not dove the Rebel, but the other wrecks in the area look very similar.

I think it would be interesting to see a few photos of the ship when she was known as Cornelis: I always enjoy of bit of the history behind a wreck. Post a few more times and then load up the pictures!

Force-E in Pompano can hook you up with any one of a number of dive boats. I'm sure a number of other scubaboard members will supply some other options too.....

Pompano Beach Scuba Diving Center - Dive store in central Pompano Beach

Background information and dive site information on the REBEL can be found in my book, Encyclopedia of Florida Shipwrecks. I have about a dozen images of her throughout her career, and several more of her during the scrapping and reefing process.
Cheers,
Mike

sportxlh:

Yes it had been very fun and interesting to see this boat again. It is now 30 years ago since i saw her last. She had a darker blue color with the top of the bow white and a white living quarters and wheel house. For some reason I remember the room with the toilet best, it had a blue lid and i wasn't very willing to use it hehe.

Thank you for your contribution to my thread here. I will post some pictures soon:)

aue-mike:

Wow! feel I have hit the Jackpot here! If you are willing to sell me some copies of your photo collection of the Rebel I would be very glad. This is exactly what i´m looking for :)
Your book looks very interesting to, How many pages are devoted to the Rebel in it?

Last edited:
Cornelis%20flyfoto.jpg

Taken sometimes in the sixties i think. If you look at her bow it is a bit different then it was on the latest photos of her. In the mid seventies she collided with another boat and had to do major repairs on her bow.

Bestefar.jpg

This is my grandfather on the Port bridge wing (1971)

Bom.jpg

The control unit to the cranes (had to Photoshop out my cousin here, I think he wouldn't like being exposed on the net)

Lasterom.jpg

Cargo room. (had to Photoshop out my cousin here, I think he wouldn't like being exposed on the net)

Bru%20lite.jpg

This is taken on the border between Norway and Sweden. The bridge is the old "Svinesund Bridge" Norway on one side and Sweden on the other.

Thank you, hope you all enjoy these old pics.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom