Need Maui Info!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SubMariner

C'est Moi
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hey people!

We're off to Maui in the very near future and although I've searched the board, I've not found exactly what I want.

To wit, need info on:

1) Maui shore dives

2) Good u/w critter guide.

Much tanks,

~SubMariner~

SubMariner,

We have always dived from boats on Maui, so I cannot help you with shore dives. We snorkeled at lots of places along the leeward coast, though, and the snorkling was great.

As for good u/w critter books, here are two and a half(?):

Hawaiin Reef Fish by Casey Mahaney--This book has lots of good photos of fish and a nice, but small section on invertebrates, If you can only get one book, this is a good one.

An Underwater Guide to Hawai'i by Ann Fielding and Ed Robinson--Robinson runs one of the premier dive boats on the island and his book has some of the best photographs. It has excellent sections on the geology of the islands, the origins of the fish life, and the fish life in general. If you are looking for a good book to read on the airplane ride over, this could be it. One downside, the index idents the flora and fauna by Latin names only...

Reef Fish of the Indo-Pacific by Paul Humann and Ned DeLoach--It comes in a small (read, very small) pocket version that is waterproof and very handy. The photos are, per force, small and there are no write-ups. If you want something very small, but with a lot of fish in it, this is the baby! And it can be carried in your BC--although the staples will rust in time.

Hope this helps....

Joewr

Originally posted by joewr
Joewr

Is there anything you don't know something about?

Here are links to the books Joewr had in his post

An Underwater Guide to Hawaii

Hawaiian Reef Fish : The Identification Book

I could not find the last one at Amazon, but there are several by those authors.

Here are two more the last one got good ratings 4 Stars

Reef Watchers Hawaii : Reef Fish and Critter I.D. : Snorkel Skills & Professional Tips

Hawaii's Fishes : A Guide for Snorkelers, Divers, and Aquarists

Hope this helps

Sbmariner,

I just got back from there myself. Unfortunately I only got in a couple of shore dives though. I did Black Rock and Ahihi Cove. Black Rock is a good night dive, stay away from Ahihi Cove though. Too shallow although there is good marine life.

I would go to Maui Dive Shop and get their guide to Maui shore dives if you are limited on time.

There is also a book called "The Divers Guide to Maui" by Chuck Thorne that isn't too bad also.

One place that I wanted to dive but didn't get the chance was Mala Ramp in Lahaina. According to locals that I have talkd to this is a real neat dive with a resident white tip normally around.

Other must shore dives are Honolua Bay and possibly Kapalua Bay, Le Perousse Bay, Makena (different sights in this area).

As far as u/w guides I could recommend a couple of books:
"An Underwater Guide to Hawai'i" by Ann Fielding and Ed Robinson (this is a hardback) or "Shore Fishes of Hawai'i" by John Randall (paperback).

Hope this helps.

Great info, people.

Socal: I looked for the Thorne book, but it appears to be out of print right now.

Thanks again,

~SubMariner~

Hey SM,

If my memory serves me correctly you are somewhere on the West Coast correct?

I am in the LA area and if you like, I could meet you somewhere convenient for both and you are more than welcome to borrow my book. Let me know either by post or email if you are interested.

Definitely go visit my favorite folks at Maui Dreams Dive Company... They are in Kihei and do mostly shore dives... and they're awesome, and have reasonable prices!!!

(No, I'm not related... but they may be considering adopting me soon -- I return next week for my fourth visit with them this year!!!)

They have a web site... www.mauidreamsdiveco.com
or you can call them at 888-921-DIVE.

Be sure to tell them that Liz from Northern California says HELLO!!!

(any chance we'll be there at the same time? -- 10-17 -010/23)

Liz

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom