Red Sea Shark Sightings - please help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crowley

Master Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
After the fatal shark attack of December last year, it has become clear that there is a woefully inadequate amount of data on the shark populations of the Red Sea. There are limited projects involving sharks such as Dr. Elke Bojanowski's excellent Longimanus study, and one of the owners of my dive centre has her own whale shark project, but in terms of other species, there is next to no data. For 20 years and more, dive guides have been writing up what they've seen on a whiteboard which gets erased every month - a whole world of information that has never been shared or collated.

With that in mind, I would like to ask for your help, to try and draw information from dive guides and visitors to the Red Sea. Shark species that frequent our waters are:

- Oceanic White Tip
- White-tip reef Shark
- Whale Shark
- Blacktip shark (charcarinus limbatus)
- Blacktip reef shark
- Grey Reef shark / Blacktail shark - actually generally regarded nowadays as the same species of shark with slightly different markings)
- Leopard shark (aka Zebra shark, but the adults are spotty)
- Mako
- Scalloped hammerhead
- Great Hammerhead
- Tiger shark
- Silvertip
- Silky

All of these appear at some place or other at different times of the year. The information I am specifically looking for is from Egyptian dive sites - a colleague tells me that Sudan actually has an active shark monitoring program. The locations are therefore: Taba, Nuweiba, Dahab, Sharm, Hurghada, El Gouna, El Qsir, St John's national park, Elphinstone, Marsa Alam, etc. etc.

The information I need is this:
(1) Species of shark if known
(2) Approximate length of shark or juvenile/adolescent/adult if known
(3) Date and time of sighting (exact is best, but "mid-march, about 3pm" would do)
(4) Location - reef and region - i.e. Jackson Reef, Sharm El Sheikh
(5) Water temperature
(6) Depth
(7) Fin markings - dorsal white, caudal (tail) fin black stripe or white tip, pectoral fins tipped with this or that colour
(8) Other Distinctive markings - i.e. "chunk missing from upper lobe of caudal fin", in the case of the longimanus responsible for the fatal attack here in sharm, or "wide pectoral fins in proportion to body mass" - clear sign of a juvenile oceanic
(9) Behaviour patterns - cruising by, feeding, skittish, close pass, solitary, in groups, bumping, biting etc.
(10) Size of dive / snorkel group

Photos would of course be best. The best pictures would be in full profile, with fin tips clearly displayed. Spot markings on whale sharks or leopard/zebra sharks helps to identify the individual, fin shape and colouration (particularly of the dorsal fin) helps to identify other species with less obvious markings

Any information would be welcome, but "2 metre long shark in Ras Mohamed" is meaningless and also probably means you saw a big tuna, cobia, spanish mackerel or milkfish, which are all commonly misidentified as sharks. If you're not sure what you saw, please don't reply. Anything without a photo, or that cannot be independently confirmed by other witnesses (preferably a diver or guide experienced in the region), gives false information, so please don't respond unless you can positively identify what you saw as a shark.

All this information will be collected and passed on as best I can, but since nobody else seems to have bothered, I figure that something is better than nothing, and I bet a bunch of you out there have some great photos that nobody has ever seen apart from friends and family.

At the moment I have no means for posting this on the internet - I don't have facebook (but am re-considering after the FB/twitter revolution) but PM me for my private e-mail address if you have a photo that won't fit on here - maximum resolution and size is best.

Many thanks - I am not a shark expert by any means, but yes, I'm trying to start a mini revolution of my own

Cheers

C.

Last edited:
Dear Crowley,

good luck with the project. As soon as I break the 5post limit, I will be more then happy to contribute my two cents to this project.

Regards
Kaya-theXXXL

Yepp... A short effort and I'm back...

Hi Crowley,

I was one lucky diver, ready to record the video of a crusing hammerhead, with my camcorder. Actually; this was my first ever encounter with a shark...

a Hammerhead, apprx. 2m long,
at September 8th, 2010
at Ras Nasrani, at 16:00 o'clock (3rd dive of the day)
Sea temp 28 - 29 degree C
Diver depth apprx: 15m
Hammerhead crusing by at 3-4m below us; a group of 6-7 divers,

the below image is a captured frame of the video... If requested, I can send a 20 seconds clip (7 MB) of the crusing sceanary.

1194484798_E4jyd-L.jpg

Good luck with the project... and hope to be able to contribute more...

If the Turkish tour operators, re-start the Sharm tours again, may be we can meet in May... who knows?

Regards
Kaya-theXXXL

One Grey reef shark, 1m, 11 Sept 2010, Ras Zaatar, temp 27, 30m depth, cruising under a group of 7-8 divers - at opposite direction.

One Leopard shark, 1.5+m, 11 Sept 2010, Stingray Station, temp 27, at 7m depth very close to the reef, laying still on sandy bottom, let a group of 7-8 divers to make a circle around it and after a while lifted up, made a sharp turn and swam away.

Since I was mentioned by name in Crowleys previous message, I wanted to comment on it directly...
I am a biologist working in the Egyptian Red Sea for the last 7 years. While guiding on liveaboards, I started collecting data on the Oceanic Whitetip Shark population, creating an photo-ID catalogue with close to 550 different individuals. Since 2010, I am splitting my time between the fieldwork on blueotwo liveaboards and focussing on shark research under the umbrella of HEPCA in Hurghada.
Starting last year, I added photo-ID archives for grey reef sharks and silky sharks from Egyptian waters.
There is two websites detailing my efforts so far (longimanus.info & redseasharks.org), and I am definitely willing and interested in expanding that with the help of all dedicated divers out there.
The most reliable way of collecting valuable data is the collection of underwater photos and/or videos, which should be submitted with the information of when (date), where (reef/GPS-position), and by whom they were taken.
I would be very grateful for underwater photographs of any shark species that you are willing to share with me for research purposes, especially of Oceanic whitetips, silkies, grey reef sharks, whale sharks, whitetip reef sharks and zebra sharks! Picture upload forms can be found on both the websites...
I welcome any efforts to collect data on shark populations in any part of the Red Sea and will try to support you any way I can!

Greetings from Hurghada! E.

Wow - Dr. Bojanowski, I presume! - somewhat of a shark celebrity in the Red Sea :)

number of posts: 1 - how did you find this one so quickly!? :D Please visit her websites they are fantastic efforts to redress the balance of information in the Red Sea.

Thanks to those who have already contributed - I haven't even finished the spreadsheet I was preparing! I don't want to interfere with current research; I'm a professional diver but when it comes to sharks I'm an interested amateur who wants to do something worthwhile to help.

Keep it coming,

Thanks,

Crowley

14 March 2011, approx. 12:45pm White tip reef Shark, Yolanda Reef, 1.5m (adult) water temperature 23C, depth range 10 - 25 metres, swam over group, between group, yalla'd into the blue. Spotted by me, dive guide, me, no real distinguishing features apart from big for a white-tip, two remoras, 5-pax dive group. Sadly no photos.

Yay! :D

Crowley-FYI-Whitetip reef sharks have distinguishing characteristics if you get a pic. I worked for a couple of years photo-identifying these little guys. We used the black spot pattern on the sides and the presence/absence of white tips on the second dorsal and lower caudal fins. They are like fingerprints.

Thanks for the info - I know they have more personal identifying features, I just didn't get close enough for long enough and nobody has a photo...

But it was big for a reef shark - for sure the biggest I've seen here. It's a start.

C.

It was a very nice group of American and Brits. During this dive in Anemone City, Ras Mohamed, Sharm El Sheikh, we saw a Great Barracuda, a White Tip Shark, and a Giant Moray.

All the info I have could be found in the video hereunder. This video is extracted from the original DVD by Mohamed Gharib (July 09) and edited by Asser Salama (August 09).

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=136163595165

Back
Top Bottom