Butterfly House 2-21-2011

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mobeeno

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Felt like it was WNW 4 ft at 8 seconds and SW 1 ft at 11 seconds. Wind waves around 1 ft.
Vis about 45'-50' at depth. Blue water. Sun was out and never seen so much color there, probably due to lack of kelp canopy.
Saw a leopard shark or two or the same one, huge lings and several sea lions. Top side there were many artists painting the nice scenery. The tide was high and that was probably why the Carmel River mud did not effect the vis. The best dives this year, also the only 2 so far.

Last edited:
Let me know when you decide to do one next, i would love to dive Bf house

Is Butterfly House the one close to the poet Robinson Jeffers' Tor House (the stone house with the stone tower)?

Is Butterfly House the one close to the poet Robinson Jeffers' Tor House (the stone house with the stone tower)?

Dr Bill,
Site is tiny cove at below coordinates, not sure who owns the house but there isn't any tower that I recall and it is made of conventional construction materials. Sides of the roof are curved upwards so I think that's where it might get it's name

36°32'29.64"N
121°55'58.37"W

How's the catalina diving these days?

-Ken L

Dr Bill, the path leading down to the cove is directly opposite the Tor House.

Mobeeno, too bad we missed each other. We got a late start and didn't get
in the water till past 6pm. My buddy probably spotted the same leopard shark
you saw in the shallower areas. Lots of fish activity, especially once it got dark.
Entry/Exit was a pain since we unintentionally hit low-tide.

mobeeno, thank you for the report.

Butterfly House is indeed my most favorite spot, the walls in 60FT are beautiful, I honestly think this site is better than Pt Lobos when conditions are nice.

I created small map while back, might be handy if you did not dive it before

Attachments

• map.jpg
    map.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 69
Ken: Catalina diving has been spotty due to rains, although vis after one recent "storm" (at least what LA calls a "storm") was 40 ft in the dive park.

Many divers are reluctant to dive the site. If you click on the thumbnail, you will see why.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom