Guess what guys, ouh you are all going be proud!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubiedoo

Reaction score
hey guys,

Well you know how i'm worried about the physical aspect of the scuba diving course, guess what? i took the advice you guys gave me and i went downstairs to my ppol tonight (8:00pm ) and i went for about an hour, just treading water and swimming laps. Now the great part of this is that i didn't get winded.. well at first yes, but then someone's advice poped into my head, TRY DIFFERENT STROKES!!! i did, swimming backwards is awsome!!!!!!!!! i mean i did one way frontward, and the returning way backward, that way i had time to relax and catch my breath and prepare myself for the frontward style again. i did about 20 laps, in a small size pool! awsome right?? =-) thx for the advice... ohh and i treaded water!!! ouhh it was fun, but too bad my pool is so shallow cuz it's so hard to tread water like that...

anyway thx a lot for all the help!

:D

You know. I've read several swimming threads lately, and I'm surprised that the sidestroke hasn't been discussed. It's great for swimming long distances (if you're not in a hurry), especially doing laps. One hand does most of the work, and doing laps alternates that hand.

You'll have to work on your arm strength with some twelve ounce lifts. Remember to alternate arms now.

Jim

scubiedoo once bubbled...
hey guys,

Well you know how i'm worried about the physical aspect of the scuba diving course, guess what? i took the advice you guys gave me and i went downstairs to my ppol tonight (8:00pm ) and i went for about an hour, just treading water and swimming laps. Now the great part of this is that i didn't get winded.. well at first yes, but then someone's advice poped into my head, TRY DIFFERENT STROKES!!! i did, swimming backwards is awsome!!!!!!!!! i mean i did one way frontward, and the returning way backward, that way i had time to relax and catch my breath and prepare myself for the frontward style again. i did about 20 laps, in a small size pool! awsome right?? =-) thx for the advice... ohh and i treaded water!!! ouhh it was fun, but too bad my pool is so shallow cuz it's so hard to tread water like that...

anyway thx a lot for all the help!

:D

Nice! Your most welcome :)

SwimJim once bubbled...
You'll have to work on your arm strength with some twelve ounce lifts. Remember to alternate arms now.

Jim

If you can control the burp reflex, this exercise can also increase your buoyancy, thus reducing the expenditure of effort. However, the danger herein is twofold. Firstly, one becomes complacent with the newfound buoyancy and in the event of an untimely attack of off-gassing, may find oneself suddenly required to actually swim. Secondly, and perhaps of greater concern, is the effect this sudden expulsion of gas might have on those near at hand, specifically, your instructor. It seldom pays to discomfit the guy with his finger on the button.

JohnF

i'm pretty strong, i mean i can lift heavy weights, i'm an average size girl. I play basketball, hockey and soccer so i will excerise but the only problem is i dont't know what a sidestroke is!!!!!!

will you explain to me plz? i thought it was where you're on your side and swimming with one hard but that didn,t work so would you kindly explain it to me?

thx
:)

I am so glad its working for you!!! Congratulations for overcoming your worries!

Laurel
:froggy:

Cool.

The best thing I ever did to improve my swimming ability was to pay the coach of the college swim team to give me a few lessons. You can make a drastic improvement with one or two lessons with a good coach to correct your mistakes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom