Side of the waist buckle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Angel_diver_biker

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,
Try to find answer but did not...
Why the buckle of the waist strap as to be on the right side of the body, meaning also the crotch strap being on the left side of the buckle?
What I mean is while underwater the crotch strap could move and go "under the buckle clasp and open it, no?
It would not happen on the other side...
So there is probably a very DIR reason for that but could not figure it out...
Thanks for your help and advises,
Cheers

The light canister goes on the right. Placing the waist buckle on the right hip webbing would be cumbersome when assembling/disassembling gear, and dangerous in a situation where the canister is acting as ditchable weight.

What I mean is while underwater the crotch strap could move and go "under the buckle clasp and open it, no?

I don't find that very likely. If your buckle is so loose that the crotchstrap can slide over and open it, it's time to get a new buckle. :)

The light canister goes on the right. Placing the waist buckle on the right hip webbing would be cumbersome when assembling/disassembling gear, and dangerous in a situation where the canister is acting as ditchable weight.

I don't find that very likely. If your buckle is so loose that the crotchstrap can slide over and open it, get a new one.

I don't dive with a light canister, that's maybe why I did not think about that.
I have 2 "back up sized" torch, one attached to each shoulder strap as DIR recommend...
But still, when disambling, the buckle does not have to go trought the crotch loop, which I was thinking could create a problem?
My buckle is very fine, I was just trying to figure out some scenario...
Thanks

Back in the day, the buckle served a dual purpose: Keep your rig on you and hold the cannister.

The problem was that when you opened the buckle to take off your kit, the heavy cannister plummeted to the deck, ground, abyss, your foot, etc. The simple solution was to put another buckle on the webbing just for the cannister. This is the popular method today.

The original "right of the crotch strap" buckle placement is still the norm. It takes a deliberate act to pass it through the crotch strap when getting out of your kit. This serves to keep it on you until you're sure you want to take it off. Also, if the buckle was on the left of the crotch strap, it might push your knife too far off center so you couldn't reach it with the right hand.

Having the buckle on the right of the crotch strap came in handy the day I forgot my spare buckle. My can light wasn't as close to the backplate as I would have liked, but it wasn't sagging down around the crotch strap, either (which would have been quite annoying).

The original "right of the crotch strap" buckle placement is still the norm. It takes a deliberate act to pass it through the crotch strap when getting out of your kit. This serves to keep it on you until you're sure you want to take it off. Also, if the buckle was on the left of the crotch strap, it might push your knife too far off center so you couldn't reach it with the right hand.

That make a lot of sense, thank you...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom