vote. Pick one

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crock

Contributor
Reaction score
1- Armadillo
2-Dive Rite Nomad XT
3-Hollis SMS100
4-OMS Profile
5-Hollis SMS100
6-Oxycheq Recon
7-Zeagle Express backplate and add the Dive Rite buttplate
8-Razor Harness with UTD wing

what do you want it for...

The UTD wing is apparently not made for actual sidemount diving just monkeying around rec style...

I have a Nomad, and would pick that out of that list especially if you're doing any ice diving or cold water. Dillo is next

Your 'ballot' is flawed. You have the Hollis SMS 100 listed twice. Trying to influence our decisions?

I have a Razor and will be taking a UTD wing to Mexico in March, since Tobin's wing isn't here yet. I'll still be looking at it when it arrives, though. If the new smaller Armadillo fits me, that would be my second choice. From what I've been reading on other forums, the UTD wing sounds like it will work OK.

Nomad XT for me, of course the warmest water I sidemount in is 72 degrees. If I ever make it somewhere where the cave diving is in bath tub warm water I wouldn't mind giving the razor a try.

Greetings rongoodman do you have pics of the afore mentioned wing? If so could you post them.
Sorry Ron I have seen the wing and it looks pretty nice barring the price.
But hey it looks to have been pretty well engineered and not out of the realm price wise.
What is the best price you have seen and where?
I would love to put one on mine.
My wife just expressed an interest in my rig but wanted a wing. PREFECT!

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

Last edited:
Greetings rongoodman do you have pics of the afore mentioned wing? If so could you post them.
Sorry Ron I have seen the wing and it looks pretty nice barring the price.
But hey it looks to have been pretty well engineered and not out of the realm price wise.
What is the best price you have seen and where?
I would love to put one on mine.
My wife just expressed an interest in my rig but wanted a wing. PREFECT!

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

This is the UTD Z-System (razor) wing - UTD Z-Trim Device (Side Mount Wing)

I wonder why you couldn't use the new Delta wing for SM? Seems like it would work, and you now have 38lbs of lift vs. only 20-something. I've done exactly 1 sm so my experience is very limited.

UTD Single Tank Delta Trim Device/Wing (38lbs/17kg)

Pick one for what purpose. Most have advantages and disadvantages dependent on the environment they are going to be used in. Are you planning on using it locally in the cold Canadian waters or are you going to use it exclusively during travel to dive the Mexican cenotes? No one rig is superior to any of the others in all conditions. And, IMO, none of the rigs are all that great out of the box - meaning they all need some modification to fit the owner/diver.

The UTD wing came today and is now mounted on the Razor, along with weight pouches and a little extra hardware so I won't have to be tearing it all apart every time I want to try something different in Playa. It's compact and well made--my only beef is the non-standard OPV, which means I can't switch it out for one of Tobin's with the nice, thick cord. More impressions to come after I get it in the water, under the watchful eye of Nando at Protec.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom