what starting model DSLR camera recommend me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marmagi

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

Excuse me in advance for such a generic question, but its a starting point.

I had a look on the internet there are so many models around

Please what NIKON DSLR camera you recommend me ?

I will used it also underwater so please a model that has available an undewater case not so expensive

anyother feature when selecting a DSLR camera also for underwater use but not only I will also use it on land :wink:

please tell me what should I look for, what important features for underwater photos?

off course I dont want to buy top model too much expensive :wink:

thanks in advance

Mario

It depends a lot on your budget.

A lot of people use the Nikon D300 or D300s underwater. Once you add in the cost of a housing, the price difference between the D300 and the D90 becomes pretty minor. The new D7000 looks like a great camera for underwater use, too.

I would stay away from the D3100 and D5000 (the D40, D50, D60 and D3000 are also bad for underwater IMHO). Those cameras don't have the focus screw needed to use some of the most popular underwater lenses like the Tokina 10-17 or the Nikon 10.5mm fisheye.

wowwww thanks a lot davelew, good start with what you told me :wink: I didnt knwo about the focus screw and lenses tipically used thanksssss a lot

by the way and what underwater case is commonly used for nikon D300 ? D90 ? and yes I was thiking about D7000 you catch me !

Hello,

Excuse me in advance for such a generic question, but its a starting point.

I had a look on the internet there are so many models around

Please what NIKON DSLR camera you recommend me ?

I will used it also underwater so please a model that has available an undewater case not so expensive

anyother feature when selecting a DSLR camera also for underwater use but not only I will also use it on land :wink:

please tell me what should I look for, what important features for underwater photos?

off course I dont want to buy top model too much expensive :wink:

thanks in advance

Mario

"Not so expensive," "DSLR," and "Underwater" don't really belong in the same sentence. :D

I'm a Canon guy, but the Nauticam and Aquatica housings and ports look very nice. But you're talking about $2500-$3500 for even the most basic housing. Plus you'll need a strobe.

Before spending the money -- especially if money is a factor, you might want to explain WHY you want a dSLR? Do you already have a dSLR (Nikon) and thus want to use lenses you have? Or, are you starting from scratch?

IF the latter, you may want to think about some of the "Evils" out there -- some of which have very similar (but not identical!) stats as the lower end dSLRs and which cost significantly less (camera and housing).

Just another POV.

Even if you've got a DSLR and the "correct" underwater lens, it's cheaper to go the EVIL route buying a 2nd camera. There's a pretty good chance that my next upgrade will be that route.

For me the major downside is that neither Nikon nor Canon have entered this space yet leaving it to Olympus and Sony. It'd be nice to have something compatible with my current glass (even if it was used rarely) and muscle memory.

what will be an EVIL camera model?

I mean, what model you recommend me of EVIL camera? panasonic? or sony?

for which one is there an underwater case that doesnt cost much?

panasonic or sony makes proprietary own uw case?

I mean, what model you recommend me of EVIL camera? panasonic? or sony?

for which one is there an underwater case that doesnt cost much?

panasonic or sony makes proprietary own uw case?

I have no recommendation never having used one. The housing+port options for the Sony will set you back $2000. Options are from Aquatica and Nauticam. The only one I'm aware of that has an OEM housing is the Olympus which is about $500-600 and includes a port. You can add other ports as well, I think.

Take a look at backscatter.com.

Back
Top Bottom