Is ther any decent diving near Tavares?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kmurray719

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'll be in Tavares visiting a friend for a few days in early May and she'll be working a couple of days while I'm there. So naturally my first thought for entertaining myself was diving :D Is there any decent diving within say 1-1 1/2 hours? I'll have a car and I'd prefer shore diving of some kind (lakes? springs?) over a boat charter, just to keep costs down. I'm not the least bit familiar with that part of Florida, so even the information I've found online hasn't been too helpful. Thanks in advance to anyone who has input!

You have a couple of options.

I would HIGHLY recommend a trip over to Crystal River to snorkel with the manatees. It is about an hour from where you are, maybe just a little longer, but well worth it. It is unique in the world and just a great experience. Call Bird's underwater in Crystal River for details. Bill is also a major cave diver and can guide you to springs and caverns in the area suitable for your experience, or, he will make recommendations and you can go on your own but you have to find a buddy. He is very friendly and his operation is first class.

For ocean diving, you have access to Melbourne (Atlantic) and Tampa (Gulf). I am not so familiar with diving these areas but if you want to look up dive shops this is the area to try. Also, I am sure there are good dive shops in Orlando which is not far from Tavares that can give you recommendations.

The springs would be your best bet. You got Paradise,Devil's Den,Blue grotto (some of the bigger ones) and many other springs. I live about 30 mins from Tavares.

As for Ocean diving you don't have anything good within 2 hours as far as shore diving. A little south of tampa they have shark tooth dives. From Tampa they have charters but can get costly. On the east coast the soonest shore dive would be Sebastian or the Blue Heron Bridge (tide pending)

What are the Dates you are planning? We have some trips planned here in the near future and would love to have you with us. I offer tours and guided dives if that may be something you are interested in.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not sure of exact dates yet, but it will be one of the first two weeks in May, probably mid-week (Tu/W/Th) that I'll be in Tavares (then off to Cape Canaveral for a few days). LCD, I'll PM you for info about guided dives when I have my dates nailed down. Thanks!

Kim, most of the springs have an entrance fee - but its less expensive than a boat charter.

The springs seem to be what you are looking for - I would not even consider Melborne area diving because its bad - if you really want some salt water diving @ a fairly reasonable price, check Jupiter - Jupiter Dive Center is great, but so are the other 2 options there.

Paying an entrance fee isn't a big deal to me, I'm just not looking to pay for boat dives or drive for a few hours when it's just about entertaining myself for a few hours. This isn't (unfortunately!) a diving trip, just a visiting one. I'm still not entirely sure I want to pack and haul my gear around for one day of diving. Thanks for the info, it's helpful in deciding to know what my options are.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom