Rescue diver..naui and padi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divemed06

Contributor
Reaction score
Could someone explain the difference in CONTENT between the NAUI Rescue/Advanced Rescue course and the PADI Rescue course...I'M NOT LOOKING TO DEBATE ONE OR THE OTHER, JUST WANT TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN COURSE CONTENT.

Thanks

the difference is that the PADI rescue cert is a one time deal. The NAUI Advanced Rescue Diver requires recert and swimming tests every 3 years.

Give me a few minutes and I'll get my S&P book and verify the NAUI info.

your question. As I recall the content is pretty much the same as far as diving scenarios and techniques.

I had signed up twice for the PADI rescue class but it never materialized. I ended up taking the NAUI rescue diver class instead. When I compared the PADI class to the NAUI Advanced Rescue diver they were pretty much the same except the NAUI course had swimming tests and also required re-certification every three years.

For the NAUI class my S&P manual has in italics-Certification as a water safety instructor and in lifeguarding is strongly recommended.

IMHO, there in lies the basis for requiring recert every three years.

I hope this is what you were looking for.

The Naui Advanced Rescue Course includes instruction in 02 administration, first aid and CPR and goes into a more accident management than the PADI course. The advanced rescue course was designed for those going in to Leadership roles originally. This is why the swim tests were included and the recert.- since your CPR and O2 would expire in three years anyway.

NAUI also has a Rescue Diver course which is almost the exact same as the PADI Rescue Diver course.

japan-diver once bubbled...

NAUI also has a Rescue Diver course which is almost the exact same as the PADI Rescue Diver course.

This is absolutely incorrect. Nothing could be farther from the truth.

The NAUI Rescue Diver is about as generic of a course as you might find.

The PADI Rescue diver and the NAUI Advanced Rescue Scuba Diver are very similar. The NAUI advanced is a little more extensive like the O2 class someone mentioned.

I've taught PAID for 7 1/2 yrs. and NAUI for 2 1/2 yrs. Not to mention YMCA, CMAS and NASDS.

NAUI has a few courses that are hard to compare with the other agencies. Their advanced rescue is like that. So is their master diver course. The NAUI program is flexible and works around these two courses, not making them specific requirements for any particular program. But they are there, and they contain extensive features that you do not see anywhere else.

NAUI's basic rescue and PADI's basic rescue, as well as that of YMCA Scuba and SSI, are fairly similar, in my opinion. These basic rescue courses are the mainstream rescue courses that are available in most locations. They are valuable courses to take because they make you a better buddy and also a safer diver yourself.

In the basic rescue courses of each agency, you learn about stress and its role in panic. You learn to observe stress in yourself and in others, like your buddy and other divers on the boat. You learn to deal with stress and defuse it.

You go on to learn about self-rescue to extricate yourself from difficult situations, and to assist other divers verbally from a short distance or close up, when they get into difficulty.

Then you go through various steps of a full blown rescue of another diver. The course usually goes over finding a missing diver. You do a grid pattern for a submerged marker or bright weight belt or something like that.

You would also practice following someone else's bubble stream downwards to locate them underwater.

Then you surface the victim, who is feigning unconsciousness, by either ditching their weight belt underwater or orally inflating their B/C a little. Various instructors teach this differently and there are several schools of though.

Once you have them on the surface, you ditch their weight belt if you have not already, and ditch yours as well, and remove their face mask. That should make them fairly buoyant, but if not, you would inflate their B/C as well. While you are doing all this you are supposed to call for help.

Next you check to see if the victim is breathing, and if not then you start rescue breathing (aka artificial respiration) on the surface. Now the in-water rescue breathing (aka artificial respiration) begins on the surface. Its good to have already taken the CPR First Aid class before you take a rescue class.

Then you begin to tow them back to shore in a dosido position. As you get close to shore, you need to ditch your own B/C and then theirs as well while you continue your rescue breathing. You practice that in the class on several rescue exercises. When you can stand near the shore, you ditch your fins, and your mask as well, if you have not already done so. When to ditch the mask depends on various instructors and the sea state. There are several schools of thought.

During the training, you normally have two students helping you carry all your gear and the victim's gear that you ditched. Hopefully you will not lose any gear during the training, but a lot of gear often gets strewn along the bottom during a rescue class. Its a good idea to have your name and phone number on your gear, in case you lose some of it. Divers are by and large pretty honest, and will call you if they found something of yours.

Once you are back at shore, there are about four ways to carry an unconscious diver up the beach, or to load him/her back onto a boat or pier. You will practice them. This is the hardest most exerting part of any rescue course. You will carry at least one person about your size up the beach to the dry sand. Then you gently lay the person down, scoop out sand under their head so that their head tilts back, remove their hood if they are wearing one, and check for a pulse.

If there is no pulse, you begin CPR combined with continued rescue breathing.

If there is a pulse, you continue rescue breathing, and instruct shore people to summon medical help. You continue your CPR and rescue breathing until the medical team arrives, even if you believe it to be hopeless. You do not stop.

Once the medical team arrives, you provide them with a complete report of what happened. Normally the sheriff's dept will show up as well and start to retrieve all the gear, and you will need to reclaim your gear, and identify the victim's gear. That is called accident management. There is also crowd control, which you would have to deal with before the medics arrive. You go over all that in the basic rescue class.

PADI teaches a well structured basic rescue class. Anywhere in the world that you take PADI's class, it will be fairly rigorous and cover almost exactly the same materials, depending on your instrutor a little. PADI programs and carefully structured and not designed to be very flexible.

Your NAUI course will depend a lot on the individual instructor. NAUI publishes general and specific standards, and then requires the instructors to 'customize' a course specific to the students and the given location. That is how the two courses would differ. But by and large they would be fairly similar courses at the basic rescue level.

Talk to the specific instructors who will be offering each course, and see how the chemistry works out between yourself and the instructor. I told you what a typical course would cover. Ask what your instructor will be teaching.

BEWARE of dive shop personnel who brush you off with 'oh someone will teach the class, it all depends, we cant tell you who the instructor will be.' Don't be taken in by a line like that. Find another dive store.

I'm currently taking the PADI rescue course. CPR was required, along with O2 providing and AED use.

I've done most of the work, just need a weekend at the quarry dragging people around and rescuing them :)

DeepTech...
>Then you surface the victim, who is feigning unconsciousness, by either ditching their weight belt underwater or orally inflating their B/C a little. Various instructors teach this differently and there are several schools of though.

Orally inflating their B/C while underwater or on the surface? While I can understand this if their BC is malfunctioning, why do that when you have a nice power-inflator? As for ditching the weights...makes sense...but if I ditch 20 lbs of lead while at depth I will surface with increasing speed. Might it not be more sensible to not drop the weight until you reach the surface?

>Once you have them on the surface, you ditch their weight belt if you have not already, and ditch yours as well, and remove their face mask. That should make them fairly buoyant, but if not, you would inflate their B/C as well. While you are doing all this you are supposed to call for help.

The BSAC system teaches you to inflate the victim's BC. The thinking is that if you lose grip (which of course you shouldn't) that they will surface - after all if they are negatively buoyant and you are very possitively buoyant to compensate they will drop like a stone if you do lose your grip.

So in summary...what is the rationale for not using the power-inflator and for not inflating the victim's BC?

DrSteve once bubbled...
DeepTech...
>
So in summary...what is the rationale for not using the power-inflator and for not inflating the victim's BC?

My understanding (someone correct me if I'm wrong) was that if you find someone unconcious at the bottom, the chances are great that their tank will be out of air already (especially in an entaglement case), and therefore using the power inflator would not be effective. I think they teach oral inflation so that when you actually need to respond to the situation, you don't need to think about why the inflator isn't working and then come up with the solution (oral inflate) while you're worrying about all the other pieces of the rescue, this way the oral inflaiton will just be the natural response for you to do.

Of course, that's just for oral inflation on the surface, I don't think they were talking about orally inflating underwater - you drop the weights to get the bouyancy you need there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom