Mobile Alabama Dive Sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

belairbrian

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We are packing up the 5th wheel and heading to Dauphin Island for a week (arriving the 12th).

Looking to get wet but need sights or boats that are workable for me and 2 junior OW Divers. Son is 13 (3 years diving, 2 dives from completing advanced). daughter is 11 (certified last year, still has the 40 ft restriction until Nov).

Any suggestions?

Also dive shop recommendations for fills. Son and I dive HP steels Daughter has AL 63s.

Yikes, pretty much everything in the Gulf is 70+ feet deep. There are a few spots closer in, but closer-in to Dauphin Island equals little or no viz and challenging current. Most everything out of DI is private spearfishers knowing they have to get 15+ miles out for clear water.

I'd recommend taking the Ferry to Gulf Shores and/or Pensacola. The friendliest place for newer divers will be Ft. Pickens in Pensacola. If you are set on diving Dauphin Island, talk to Lawren at Gulf Coast Divers. He dives out of DI just about every week the weather will let him. He can offer you some good advice.

Mobile/Dauphin Island: Gulf Coast Divers - Dive The Alabama, Florida and Mississippi Gulf Coast - Gulf Coast Scuba Diving At Its' Best - Mobile, Alabama
Gulf Shores: Down Under Dive Shop > Home
Orange Beach: Gary's Gulf Diver - Home page

You'll probably want to hop the ferry and get in touch with Gary Gulf Diver and Down Under Dive shop to see what they're running out of Orange Beach.

Mat

Hetland nailed it.

I'd recommend a shore dive at Ft. Pickens. Depending on what your availability is, I might be able to meet you guys over there and show you around.

You'll definitely need to be dressed for the water right now. My computer showed 59 at Panama City on 2-20, and 54 at the same site a week before.

P.S. We'll have no problem staying around 40 at Ft. Pickens, either.

I'm not certified yet, so take this for what it is. I've been hearing for years about a whiskey boat wreck that is reportedly in about 10ft of water in the west beach area (gulf shores) I'm sure Down Under Dive Shop in Gulf Shores can give you a pin-point location.

I have also free-dived at Alabama Point along the jetties (gulf side of course) I wouldn't go into the pass side due to the potential of very strong currents. As long as you stay on the east side of the east jetties you shouldn't have any problems unless the surf is rough. I have seen all kinds of stuff there including sting rays, anemones blennies, etc but not sure what's there now as I haven't free-dived since the oil spill.

Just a newbie trying to help

I'm not certified yet, so take this for what it is. I've been hearing for years about a whiskey boat wreck that is reportedly in about 10ft of water in the west beach area (gulf shores) I'm sure Down Under Dive Shop in Gulf Shores can give you a pin-point location.

I have also free-dived at Alabama Point along the jetties (gulf side of course) I wouldn't go into the pass side due to the potential of very strong currents. As long as you stay on the east side of the east jetties you shouldn't have any problems unless the surf is rough. I have seen all kinds of stuff there including sting rays, anemones blennies, etc but not sure what's there now as I haven't free-dived since the oil spill.

Just a newbie trying to help

I've heard that too! Do you have any other information?:D

Just kidding. Search Whiskey Wreck in this forum...

Ask Paulwall how to find it, he's never had a problem getting to the Whiskey :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom