Artificial Reefs off Miami Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grouchyturtle

Contributor
Reaction score
Someone told me that there's a few artificial reefs right off Miami Beach. As in close enough to anchor there and dinghy in or almost even swim to shore. I'm looking on the charts, and see a few obstructions and shallower spots close to shore, but not entirely sure if that the reef.

Does anyone know where they are?
Could you give me numbers?
Or at least landmarks and maybe approx distances?
What street it's off of for example?

Probably more artifical wreck sites off Dade county than anywhere else in the country.

There are many good ones - sunken ships for the most part - off of Miami Beach, as well as Key Biscayne - but none that you could swim to - and unless you have some experience, a boat, and a GPS as well as a depth finder , you may not find them - in general, (and in fact!) good shore diving does not exist in SE FL except in some spots off Dania and Light House by the Sea.

If you go to the Miami Dade Government web site, and search - under DERM - you can get GPS Numbers for all of the artifical reefs off of Dade County - but again, w/out the depthfinder and a GPS, you likely will not find them.

RH Diving Adventures out of Miami Beach marina frequently dives the wrecks - worth checking their web site.

Thanks!

Actually I found it. Maybe not swimming distance, but only about 1/8 mile off 2nd. And yes the plan is to anchor there.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom