Info on Fresno, Central Valley

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

danteswim

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Can anyone recommend a dive shop and/or a dive club in the Fresno area?

I will be moving to the area in the Spring. I currently dive in the great lakes and I have dove Monterey before. Are there any other sides to where the locals go to?
Any info on the diving community in the Fresno area will be appreciated. I can't wait to dive year round. :)

Thanks.

Can anyone recommend a dive shop and/or a dive club in the Fresno area?

I will be moving to the area in the Spring. I currently dive in the great lakes and I have dove Monterey before. Are there any other sides to where the locals go to?
Any info on the diving community in the Fresno area will be appreciated. I can't wait to dive year round. :)

Thanks.

I am not familiar with the Fresno area, but I've sent a PM to someone who I think might be able to help you out.

Thanks Tracy!

If you search "Fresno Scuba" you'll get these two: Bob's Dive Shop and Aqua Sports.

I have shopped at Aqua Sports once (bought a flashlight and rented a wetsuit) so my experience there is limited. They have been here a long time and seem well stocked. They are a PADI shop. I am not sure what their facilities are like.

Bob's is the one I use regularly, mostly because they are right across the street from my house. They are SSI, and my son and I trained up to OW with them. They have a pool on site which made the training very convenient, and they will let you use the pool for practice, trying on gear, etc. I bought my wet suit there and although it was no bargain, the value of having the pool there and actually wearing the suit before buying it I think more than made up the difference. They actually insisted I get in the pool before they would let me buy the suit, to be sure the fit was good. It was, and I am very happy with the suit. It fits so well that the last time I dove, I forgot to zip it up :shocked2: and barely noticed any leak! They are pretty well stocked with the last minute items.

Between the two I am sure you'd find what you needed, and if you dive Monterey regularly you will probably find a local shop there you like also.

Of course in this internet age, the thing that makes or breaks a local shop is service, which is something you'll have to try out for yourself and see who you like better.

As a recent socaler having moved up to Fresno for work, I can say I've been to Aquasports on Blackstone and Shields several times, mostly for air ($5) and nitrox ($15) fills. The owner is quite approachable, and he's usually fast and attentive with fills. Service is excellent. I had a VIP of steel cylinder done while I waited.

I haven't bought gear from them, but their prices do look more or less MSRP.

Locals that I've seen at the shop usually dive Monterey, and the shop does have a few tropical trips done throughout the year.

Thank you all for taking the time to answer my post. I actually found both shops on the internet but it is always good to have an opinion from a local.

Is Monterey the usual diving site for you guys?

I do Monterey/Lobos 1-2 times a month, schedule permitting. That said, I also go down every other month to do a boat in Southern California... :)

Quick question:

Can you dive Monterey as a day trip from Fresno or is it strictly a weekend thing?

I am already in Fresno and hoping to dive soon.

You would have 6 hours of driving in the day plus the dives... I wouldn't want to try and do it all in one day.

Isn't Morro Bay closer to Fresno than Monterey?

Back
Top Bottom