U/W Housings / equip --do they ever drop in price?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

redstrom

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Being new to u/w photography I quickly realized that taking my Nikon D90 under water is likely to put a nice dent in my wallet.

So my question is: do u/w housings (as well as ports and strobes) typically come down in price after some time, or as new camera models are introduced by the manufacturers? What about resell value of used equipment?

I guess I am trying to figure out whether to buy new or used equipment for my D90, or possibly keep my D90 dry opting for a less expensive system (i.e Olympus dslr u/w solution).

Any thoughts?

Thx/Rik

If buying new, I would say not so much. I have seen some come down a little in price, but your best bet is to buy a used housing from someone who is upgrading to a different body. The chances of finding a decent used housing is pretty good once new camera bodies are released, like with the Nikon D7000 recently.

I have an extension and zoom gear for aquatica housing for the nikon 18-55mm lens parts 18463 and part 18718 . Excellent condition. I would like $175 for the gear and extension. If you get the aquatica 6inch port you will save about $200 also. Easier for travel with the 6inch port than the 8inch port.

I have an ikelite housing for the D90 with DS125 strobe, 8" dome and ports for the 60mm macro and tokina 11-17. Its in excellent condition and is less than a year old except for the strobe which is 4 years old. I am looking to upgrade to the D7000. The above gear cost almost 4k. I am looking for $2.4k. If you want more info PM me.
DP

Thanks for the input guys.

I'm in no rush to commit here. Leaning towards Aquatica or Nauticam. Hopefully I get to play with them at the Beneath the Sea expo in a few weeks.

Being new to u/w photography I quickly realized that taking my Nikon D90 under water is likely to put a nice dent in my wallet.

So my question is: do u/w housings (as well as ports and strobes) typically come down in price after some time, or as new camera models are introduced by the manufacturers? What about resell value of used equipment?

I guess I am trying to figure out whether to buy new or used equipment for my D90, or possibly keep my D90 dry opting for a less expensive system (i.e Olympus dslr u/w solution).

Any thoughts?

Thx/Rik

Pricing on new gear is usually firm. You can occasionally find used available when a diver retires or moves up, but it's hit and miss. Some larger dealers also have trade-ins for sale, but they do charge higher prices than private parties. Suggest you post a Wanted ad in the Photo Classifieds group.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom